Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

10 Years Since Ben and Olivia Went Missing

It’s 10 Years Since Ben and Olivia Went Missing – Did We Get It Wrong?

That’s the question explored in the hard-hitting cover story of the latest North & South magazine.

Written by Mike White – who was a reporter on the The Marlborough Express during that drought scarred summer of 1997-8 when Ben Smart and Olivia Hope disappeared from the Marlborough Sounds – the North & South story reports growing doubts among some key witnesses, and even the father of one of the victims, about whether the police got the right man when Scott Watson was arrested in June 1998, and later convicted of murder.

The 12-page story looks in detail at key evidence gathered and the investigative methods used in the case. In the story, Mike White himself remembers when the guilty verdict came through he walked around his lounge punching the air in triumph, but says “In the eight years since, [the conviction] I’ve learnt more about the case than I ever knew at the time. And as I have, I’ve grown increasingly uneasy about the way Watson was investigated, the paucity of evidence against him and the eventual verdict.”

The North & South story looks again at some of the key pieces of Crown evidence which members of the public remember from news reports at the time. These include the repainting and extensive cleaning of Watson’s yacht; the evidence of secret witnesses; the discovery of Olivia’s hairs on Watson’s boat; the identification of Watson by crucial witnesses; and the supposed dumping of Ben and Olivia’s bodies in Cook Strait.

The story also interviews a number of people associated with the case who express their doubts about Watson’s guilt, most importantly Gerald Hope, Olivia’s father, who tells North&South: “The one thing that always remains is that we never found the truth. We thought we would. We thought the process we were going through would actually be the truth. But it hasn’t been. That’s the hardest part.”

The December issue of North & South is on sale in some Auckland stores from Sunday December 11, and throughout the rest of the country from Monday, December 12.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>