Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

CI Munro workers walk off job

December 18, 2007
Media Release

CI Munro workers walk off job

More than 80 EPMU members at Tourism Holdings-owned camper-van maker CI Munro walked off the job today after the company repeatedly refused to make them a decent employment offer.

The workers are angry CI Munro has refused to meet their expectations in terms of pay, service leave and overtime payments and is also refusing to pay equal rates for the same work across its two sites.

EPMU national secretary Andrew Little says union members worked with the company earlier this year when it wanted to relocate from Otorohanga to Hamilton to enjoy better business conditions.

“When CI Munro relocated the bulk of its work to Hamilton our members cooperated with them to ensure a smooth transition and the company knew it would have to pay Waikato rates rather than small town rates. CI Munro simply has to step up to the mark.

“We share CI Munro’s aspiration to have a state-of-the-art manufacturing business in Hamilton but you can’t make a big city business off small town wages.

“The reality is that the labour market supplying businesses like CI Munro isn’t just Waikato or even New Zealand, it’s Australasia and pay rates here need to be competitive if we don’t want to continue to lose good workers offshore.”

The strike began at noon today and workers will meet tomorrow to discuss ongoing industrial action.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>