Designer Serdoun to debut in Aussie Fashion Week
Media release – April 28, 2008
One of NZ’s most talented designers, Serdoun, to debut in Australian Fashion Week tomorrow
One of New Zealand’s most talented young designers will debut on the catwalk at Australian Fashion Week in Sydney tomorrow.
Alissa Serdoun, who took part in New Zealand Fashion Week last year, will be one of four individual Kiwi designers, including Kate Silvester, in Sydney from today to May 1.
It will be the first time Russian-born Serdoun has introduced her label to Australia.
``A lot of our customers in Australia are looking forward to seeing our show on,’’ Alissa said from Sydney today.
``We feel we are one of the more stylishly sophisticated labels in New Zealand already and we are entering AFW to secure greater international recognition. Going to Australia’s biggest fashion show seems the logical step for us,’’ Serdoun said today.
Serdoun has tripled its sales every year for the last three years. They are seen as expensive and an exclusive brand and they do not look at volume or discounts.
Alissa Serdoun said she believe there were no other brand quite like hers in New Zealand. It may sound ambitious ``but we like to compare ourselves with the top end designers’’, she said.
The AFW summer collection catwalks are being held at the International Passenger Terminal down on Circular Quay. Buyers from Canada, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Russia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and USA will attend the shows.
Stores attending include Harrods, Lane Crawford, net-a-porter.com, Selfridges, Urban Outfitters and Villa Moda.
New Zealand fashion label – Serdoun – key facts
* Alissa was born in St Petersburg, Russia, in 1982
* She started Art School at the age of 7 in Vladivostok and left at 14 when her family to NZ.
* She went to AUT in Auckland, after graduating from high school , went to AUT and graduated with bachelor degree in Art and Design in 2004
* Alissa launched her label Serdoun in November 2005 and began selling wholesale through shops in Auckland and Hamilton
* She opened her shop in Parnell in 2006 and moved to 12F O'Connell St in Auckland in July last year.
* Serdoun participated in Air NZ Fashion Week in 2006 and 2007
* This is Serdoun’s first foray into