Freshman Sires Debut at NZB Sale
There's just over a week until selling commences at New Zealand Bloodstock's National Weanling & Broodmare Sale at Karaka, with a bumper catalogue bursting with pinhooking, racing and investment opportunities.
One of the most anticipated aspects of the Weanling Sale is the opportunity to see progeny from the very first crop of the new sires, and glean an insight into what will be hot come yearling time.
The young sires making their Karaka sale-ring debut with their first crop of southern hemisphere weanlings include:
BENICIO (AUS): The son of More Than Ready and the regally bred Danehill mare, Mannington, Benicio was the 2005 Victoria Derby winner ahead of Duelled and Headturner. He is represented by two colts in the Sale.
CASTLEDALE (IRE): By Peintre Celebre, Castledale was a Group 1 winner at three and four, winning the Santa Anita Derby and Shoemaker Mile trained by Jeff Mullins in California. Standing at Te Runga Stud, Castledale is represented by four fillies and a colt at this Sale.
DUELLED (AUS): The well-bred son of Redoute's Choice was trained by Graeme Rogerson to take out the Group 2 AAMI Moonee Valley Vase before finishing second behind Benicio at his last career start in the Victoria Derby. He is represented by five weanlings in the Sale.
FALKIRK (NZ): The fastest son of Tale of the Cat, from Palace Music mare Madam Valeta, Falkirk was a multiple Group winner including in the Group 2 STC Theo Marks Handicap beating Grand Armee and Private Steer. Now standing at Windsor Park Stud, Falkirk is represented by two colts and two fillies in the Sale.
GOLD CENTRE (AUS): By Danehill from Circles of Gold, Gold Centre is a winning full brother to five-time Group 1 winners, Elvstroem and Haradasun. Standing at Newmarket Lodge Stud in Palmerston North, he is represented by two colts in the Sale.
KEENINSKY (NZ): A Group 1 winner and New Zealand Champion 2YO in his first year, this son of Stravinsky was also a Group 1 winning sprinter in his three-year-old season. He is represented by four weanlings in the Sale.
MR NANCHO (ARG): By Southern Halo, the sire of More Than Ready, Mr Nancho was a Group 1 winner and 3YO Champion Argentine Miler. Standing at Stoney Bridge Waikato, he is represented by five in the Sale.
ORATORIO (IRE): This Danehill sire from Coolmore Stud was a Group 1 winner over 1400m in France at two, and a dual Group 1 winner at three, beating Motivator on both occasions. He is represented by a weanling filly at Lot 335.
SOUTHERN IMAGE (USA): By Halo's Image, Southern Image was a six-time winner from his eight career starts, including three Group 1 victories from 1400m to 2000m. Standing at Widden Stud he has just one weanling entry in the catalogue.
STRATUM (AUS): Also standing at Widden Stud is the Group 1 Golden Slipper winning son of Redoute's Choice. He is represented by two weanlings in the Sale.
ST REIMS (NZ): By NZ champion Zabeel from L'Quiz, St Reims is a brother to outstanding racemare, Champagne. The winner of five consecutive races at three, including the NZ Derby, he returned to top form at five to win the Group 1 AJC Galaxy Stakes. The foundation sire of the new Stoney Bridge Waikato, he is represented by three weanling fillies including a half-sister to the Group 1 winner Oarsman.
ZENNO ROB ROY (JPN): This son of Sunday Silence was the 2004 Japan Horse of the Year, and won seven of his 20 starts including the prestigious Group 1 Japan Cup. He is represented by three colts and a filly in the Sale.
With over 400 weanlings on offer, other highlights of this year's session include:
* Lot 3, a half sister to the recent Macau Sprint Trophy winner RED GLORY (by Pins) by the sire of GRAND DANCER and Karaka Million winner VINCENT MANGANO, No Excuse Needed;
* Lot 225, one of 24 weanling entries by No Excuse Needed, is a filly from multiple stakes winning mare Nat the Brat (by Racing is Fun), a half sister to stakes performer Vera Pro Gratis (by O'Reilly);
* Lot 252, a half-brother to seasoned stayer KERRY O'REILLY (by O'Reilly), is one of three colts in the Sale by Cambridge Stud sire ONE COOL CAT;
* Lot 328, a half-brother to current winner of seven consecutive starts, KATY KEEN, by son of Danehill in CHIANTI;
* Lot 341, a half-brother to dual Group 1 winner GREAT COMMAND (by Marscay) by SCAREDEE CAT;
* Lot 360, one of seven entries by exciting young sire PINS, this is a half-brother to eight-time winner COUP BLOOMSBURY (by Centaine);
* Lot 383, a colt by NZ champion sire ZABEEL, from three-time winning Scenic mare Amatista, a half-sister to Group 1 VATC One Thousand Guineas winner AZZURO.
Plus a selection of 306 broodmares that includes:
* Three broodmares by New Zealand sire sensation ZABEEL;
* 14 broodmare entries by New Zealand's leading broodmare sire CENTAINE;
* A FUSAICHI PEGASUS mare at Lot 561 out of a Group 2 winning Danehill mare, served by champion sire ZABEEL;
* New Zealand leading sire VOLKSRAAD is represented by two weanling fillies, eight broodmares and is the covering sire of two;
* First season covering sires represented include DARCI BRAHMA, FAST 'N FAMOUS, LUCKY UNICORN, PERFECTLY READY, ROYAL GEM, SIROCCO and ZED;
* Plus a selection of broodmares by such leading broodmare sires as DANZIG, DIESIS, DANEHILL, GROSVENOR, LAST TYCOON, NUREYEV, SADLER'S WELLS, SIR TRISTRAM and WOODMAN.
Also included in the three-day Sale is a selection of yearlings (18), two-year-olds (11), racehorses (17) and unraced stock (18).
New Zealand Bloodstock's 2008 National Weanling, Broodmare & Mixed Bloodstock Sale at Karaka will commence with the Weanling Session from 10am on Sunday 11 May, and continue on the 12 & 13 May. For information or catalogues contact reception[at]nzb.co.nz.