NZ’s best bacon named
100% NZ Bacon
26 May 2008
NZ’s best bacon named
Kiwis know nothing beats a rasher of 100% New Zealand Bacon on a Sunday morning – and now they know the best to be had is from Heller in Christchurch.
Heller’s Tasty Danish bacon took out the national prize at the inaugural Lesnies 100% New Zealand Bacon Competition triumphing against fierce competition from 232 other bacons.
Heller’s Todd Heller was absolutely ecstatic with the victory: “It’s a fantastic win for us. We are committed to sourcing the finest NZ produce to make our bacons and to top the pile in such a fiercely contested competition is just awesome.”
Heller is a fourth generation butcher, and says consumers are demanding New Zealand bacon.
More than 100 bacon producers from across the country entered the bacon competition across four categories: Middle, Shoulder, Streaky and Danish.
Murchison Meats from took out the Middle bacon category, Elite Meats from Christchurch won the Shoulder bacon category, Franklin Country Meats from Pukekohe clinched the Streaky bacon category, whilst Heller Tasty from Christchurch wrapped up the competition by winning the Danish bacon category.
Steve Logan – head judge, Wellington restaurateur and television chef – says the judges were blown away by the high standard of the entrants.
“Across all categories, entrants’ bacon exhibited an extremely high standard of taste, texture and smell that proves how great our country’s bacon is.”
“The winner tops a very fine heap and was awarded the title for producing a unique tasting, well-rounded bacon,” Mr Logan says.
The Lesnies 100% New Zealand Bacon Competition was only open to bacons produced in New Zealand using New Zealand pork. Industry body, New Zealand Pork, says the competition evolved from an increasing consumer demand for 100% New Zealand bacon, but the inability for customers to identify bacon made from New Zealand Pork on the shelf.
Sam McIvor, New Zealand Pork CEO says: “Consumers know about the 800,000kgs of foreign pork that’s arriving in New Zealand every week last year, and they want bacon only made from New Zealand Pork. With this competition we’ve found the best of the best. You can’t beat the quality of our homegrown bacon!”
“This year has been great and we’re already planning the 2009 competition to be just as exciting, tasty, fresh and challenging!”
About the Lesnies 100% New Zealand
• Lesnies is a supplier of meat and food processing products and major sponsor of the New Zealand Pork Industry Board’s bacon competition.
• Competition entries opened on April 4 and closed on May 2 with judging taking place at Weltec School of Hospitality in Petone on May 23. Final results were collated on May 26.
• The competition was judged by experts from the retail, food industry and media sectors.
• 800,000kgs of pork is imported into New Zealand every week.
• Entries are in four categories: Middle, Shoulder, Streaky and Danish bacons. All entries are judged in fresh and cooked form under criteria such as appearance, texture, shrinkage, smell, and taste.