Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Homecare Agency Caters To A Fast-Growing Market

3 June 2008
News release

NZ’s Most Experienced Private Homecare Agency Caters To A Fast-Growing Market

As the population ages and more elderly people choose to stay in their own homes, the demand for in-home care is growing fast.

Miranda Smith Personal Home Care – the most experienced private home care agency in the country – says its carers have never been busier.

“The baby boomer generation are now in, or heading towards, retirement and here, as in other parts of the world, the trend is to keep people in their own homes as long as possible,” says company founder Miranda Smith.

“There’s a lot of research that shows allowing adults to stay in their own surroundings has advantages in terms of longevity and happiness. People respond better if they can stay in their home and maintain a degree of independence.”

Miranda began providing care in the community nine years ago, after working for a similar style agency in the United Kingdom. She introduced the concept here in 1998, becoming one of the first private home care agencies in the country.

Now the longest-running private home care agency in New Zealand, Miranda Smith Personal Home Care operates in Auckland and Wellington, providing carers to assist the elderly, disabled and convalescents in their own homes. It also provides support for “medically fragile” children.

The company has also just started operating in Christchurch.

“We’ve grown very quickly, with referrals coming via people’s GPs, needs assessors for District Health Boards and friends and relatives of existing clients,” Miranda says.

“Our business has doubled in size in the past two years and our turnover has grown 100% in the past three years.”
…/2
- 2 -

In the United States, about 6.25 million people - 16% of the population over the age of 65 - receive home care. That figure is up 36% since 1980 and compares with 1.5 million people living in nursing homes.

Miranda says the percentages in New Zealand are very similar.

“Some clients pay about $300 per week for services like bathing, dressing, housekeeping, cooking, shopping and companionship while others pay up to $3,500 per week for round-the-clock care.

“Clients also get to choose which carer they prefer and often form a very close bond with that person.”

Miranda says about 60% of the company’s business is providing companionship and personal care while the other 40% is “high needs”.

In Auckland, the company has more than 100 independent carers it can call on to assist with helping people in the community, whether it be in their own home or retirement villages.

Last year, Miranda Smith Homecare was the subject of a home care story on the Target television programme and was the top-rated agency.

- ends -


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Snail-ier Mail: NZ Post To Ditch FastPost

New Zealand Post customers will see a change to how they can send priority mail from 1 January 2018. The FastPost service will no longer be available from this date. More>>

ALSO:

Property Institute: English Backs Of Debt To Income Plan

Property Institute of New Zealand Chief Executive Ashley Church is applauding today’s decision, by Prime Minister Bill English, to take Debt-to-income ratios off the table as a tool available to the Reserve Bank. More>>

ALSO:

Divesting: NZ Super Fund Shifts Passive Equities To Low-Carbon

The NZ$35 billion NZ Super Fund’s NZ$14 billion global passive equity portfolio, 40% of the overall Fund, is now low-carbon, the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Split Decision - Appeal Planned: EPA Allows Taranaki Bight Seabed Mine

The Decision-making Committee, appointed by the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority to decide a marine consent application by Trans-Tasman Resources Ltd, has granted consent, subject to conditions, for the company to mine iron sands off the South Taranaki Bight. More>>

ALSO:

New Report: Waitākere Kauri - Look After It, Or Lose It

With no cure for kauri dieback disease and treatment options still being trialled, the Auckland region faces a very real threat – take urgent action in the Waitākere Ranges or risk losing kauri from our forests altogether. More>>

ALSO: