Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Aviation inclusion in EU's ETS - the facts

This is a media release from the European Commission
For immediate distribution
Tuesday, 15 July 2008
Aviation inclusion in EU's emissions trading scheme - the facts

Last Thursday the European Parliament voted to include aviation in the EU's Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). This press release gives further clarification of what this may mean for New Zealand. Aviation emissions are growing fast and if no action is taken the increase in these emissions could offset any savings made in other sectors. Some facts:


The ETS is not a tax_. Emissions trading creates an asset - an allowance which enables the polluter to emit CO2. These allowances are property rights which have a market value. The value of the allowances is determined by the market and not by government

• At the start of the scheme, 85% of the allowances will be allocated for free to the aviation sector. These allowances are currently worth â‚30 per tonne, so provision of free allowances provides the sector with considerable free assets. Only the remaining 15% will be auctioned.

• The International Civil Aviation Organisation has recognised that emissions trading is more cost-effective than taxes and charges.

• Airlines will only be required to surrender allowances for the flights to and from the EU. If a flight from the EU to New Zealand makes a stop in Singapore then it is only this first leg of the journey which will be covered.

• As the scheme will apply to all airlines operating on routes to/from EU airports without regard to the nationality of the operator, competition between airlines is not expected to be significantly affected.

• Moreover, airlines that have only long haul-flights covered by the scheme are generally likely to be better off than the average airline in terms of the number of free allowances allocated under the benchmark approach proposed.

The Exemption - de minimis

• The legislation will contain a de minimis for airlines which operate infrequently to the EU, namely less than 243 flights for three consecutive 4-month periods (i.e. on average less than 2 flights per day to or from the EU) and a de minimis for airlines with low annual emissions of less than 10,000 tonnes CO2 p.a.

Further information:
DG ENV climate change website: http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/climat/home_en.htm


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

By May 2018: Wider, Earlier Microbead Ban

The sale and manufacture of wash-off products containing plastic microbeads will be banned in New Zealand earlier than previously expected, Associate Environment Minister Scott Simpson announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Snail-ier Mail: NZ Post To Ditch FastPost

New Zealand Post customers will see a change to how they can send priority mail from 1 January 2018. The FastPost service will no longer be available from this date. More>>

ALSO:

Property Institute: English Backs Of Debt To Income Plan

Property Institute of New Zealand Chief Executive Ashley Church is applauding today’s decision, by Prime Minister Bill English, to take Debt-to-income ratios off the table as a tool available to the Reserve Bank. More>>

ALSO:

Divesting: NZ Super Fund Shifts Passive Equities To Low-Carbon

The NZ$35 billion NZ Super Fund’s NZ$14 billion global passive equity portfolio, 40% of the overall Fund, is now low-carbon, the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Split Decision - Appeal Planned: EPA Allows Taranaki Bight Seabed Mine

The Decision-making Committee, appointed by the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority to decide a marine consent application by Trans-Tasman Resources Ltd, has granted consent, subject to conditions, for the company to mine iron sands off the South Taranaki Bight. More>>

ALSO: