Dominion bartender wins Heineken prize
July 15, 2008
Dominion bartender wins Heineken perfect pour prize
Heineken has awarded its first 6-monthly 'perfect pour' prize to Ryan Raymond from Dominion Bar in Mount Eden, Auckland.
20 year-old Ryan was assessed on seven criteria while pouring a Heineken for a mystery shopper. He gained top points and went into a draw and won a trip for two to the Pacific Islands.
Ryan is delighted with his prize and says the secret to the perfect pour is practise.
"It took me a while to get it, but practise makes perfect," he says.
Heineken brand manager Luke Rive is delighted to award the prize to Ryan.
"At Heineken we pride ourselves on delivering to customers a consistently high quality experience. People know that the Heineken logo is a universal symbol of quality and bartenders play an important role in ensuring that wherever you are in the world, you can enjoy a Heineken as it should be," he says.
Dominion Bar is one of 45 outlets across the country that is part of the Heineken Star Draught network. To become a Star Draught bar, an agreement is signed by the outlet pledging best practice in hospitality. Mystery shoppers assess the bars and bartenders on a random basis to ensure the highest quality.
Heineken will continue to run the Star Draught mystery shopper programme to encourage outlets to display the best service for customers.
Heineken's Perfect Pour Tips:
1. Always serve in a Heineken branded glass;
2. Always serve in a clean glass;
3. The glass should be chilled and/or rinsed in cool water;
4. The best way to build a solid, wet head on a Heineken: Angle Heineken glass at 45 degrees and pour in one single motion. This should produce a head the size of approximately two fingers. A larger head will last longer;
5. Use a skimmer to remove any 'dry foam' and seal the head with a film of water. Sealing the head is like putting a lid on the beer, keeping it fresher for longer;
6. Face the glass logo to the customer
7. Always serve on a Heineken coaster