Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Building work continues to decline

Embargoed until 10:45am – 8 September 2008

Building work continues to decline

The seasonally adjusted volume of residential building work put in place fell 7.3 percent in the June 2008 quarter, the third consecutive fall, Statistics New Zealand said today. The volume of residential building work put in place is 15.6 percent lower in the June 2008 quarter than in the September 2007 quarter and is the lowest since the December 2002 quarter.

The seasonally adjusted volume of non-residential building work fell 3.6 percent in the June 2008 quarter, following a fall of 5.8 percent in the March 2008 quarter.

The seasonally adjusted volume of all building work put in place fell 5.8 percent in the June 2008 quarter, following a fall of 6.5 percent in the March 2008 quarter.

The trend indicates the volume of residential building work has decreased for the latest three quarters, while for non-residential building work the volume has decreased for the latest two quarters.

For the year ended June 2008, the unadjusted value of all building work put in place was $13,491 million, up 4.4 percent from the previous June year. Residential buildings contributed 62.4 percent of this value, and non-residential buildings contributed the remaining 37.6 percent.

Geoff Bascand
Government Statistician
8 September 2008

ENDS

See also the Hot Off The Press information release Value of Building Work Put in Place: June 2008 quarter.

vbwJun2008alltables1.xls

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Crown Accounts: Slightly Softer Growth Expected In PREFU

A slightly softer growth forecast is the main feature of largely unchanged Pre-election Fiscal Update compared to the Budget forecasts three months ago, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Water: Farming Leaders Pledge To Help Make Rivers Swimmable

In a first for the country, farming leaders have pledged to work together to help make New Zealand’s rivers swimmable for future generations. More>>

ALSO:

Unintended Consequences: Liquor Change For Grocery Stores On Tobacco Tax

Changes in the law made to enable grocery stores to continue holding liquor licences to sell alcohol despite increases in tobacco taxes will take effect on 15 September 2017. More>>

Back Again: Government Approves TPP11 Mandate

Trade Minister Todd McClay says New Zealand will be pushing for the minimal number of changes possible to the original TPP agreement, something that the remaining TPP11 countries have agreed on. More>>

ALSO:

By May 2018: Wider, Earlier Microbead Ban

The sale and manufacture of wash-off products containing plastic microbeads will be banned in New Zealand earlier than previously expected, Associate Environment Minister Scott Simpson announced today. More>>

ALSO: