Registered Master Builders welcomes proposals
10 September 2008
Registered Master Builders welcomes proposals to reduce red tape
The Registered Master Builders Federation has welcomed the National Party's promises to reduce bureaucracy in the building and construction industry.
Acting CEO of RMBF Chris Preston says the party's policy, released yesterday, addresses many of the issues the organisation has been highlighting for the past couple of years.
"We have been talking for some time about the problem of rising compliance costs and fees charged by local authorities, and the negative impact this has been having on housing affordability," says Mr Preston.
"We would applaud practical streamlining of the process that our builders have to go through to assist getting clients into their homes in a timely and cost effective way.
"We also welcome the opportunity to work with National on the Licensed Building Practitioner scheme, which we see as a very important step in raising the standard of building and construction in New Zealand."
RMBF sees the National Party's intention to address these issues, among others, as positive.
"We look forward to working closely with them on finding solutions should they become the Government later this year," says Mr Preston.
For more information or to arrange interviews please contact:
Notes to Editor
About Registered Master Builders Federation (RMBF)
* The Registered Master Builders Federation (RMBF) represents New Zealand's premier building companies who pride themselves on delivering the highest quality houses and buildings to their clients
* RMBF has more than 1800 registered master builder member companies nationwide, who employ more than 15,000 employees and subcontractors
* RMBF members represent 65% of every dollar spent on construction
* RMBF has been in existence for more than 100 years, providing industry leadership, training and services for its members
* There are 22 regional Registered Master Builders Associations throughout New Zealand
* Registered Master Builders are assessed on their building experience, trade or professional qualifications, and practical experience before membership is approved. Re-certification of members occurs when required, with checks on their financial viability, client satisfaction and workmanship
* When engaging a Registered Master Builder for a new home, or alterations or additions (built under either full contract or a labour only contract), clients will be offered a Master Build 7-Year Guarantee, which covers loss of deposit, non-completion of the work, defective workmanship and materials and structural defects (conditions apply)