New Zealand Energy Quarterly - June Q 2008
16 September 2008
For immediate release
New Zealand Energy Quarterly, June quarter 2008 released
Released today, this publication presents quarterly statistics on the supply of major fuels, electricity generation and greenhouse gas emissions, and fuel prices to the end of June 2008.
• Record high international crude oil prices led to significant price increases at the pump.
• New Zealand’s oil production remained near record levels for the fourth consecutive quarter.
• Estimated oil and gas
reserves at Pohokura increased significantly.
• New Zealand coal production was up 21% compared with the June quarter 2007.
• Drought conditions resulted in an 11% drop in hydro generation compared with the June quarter 2007, and as a consequence emissions from electricity generation were up 25%.
• Electricity generation from wind was up 10% compared with the previous June quarter.
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly is part of a suite of energy publications produced by MED. It is free to download or subscribe to by going to www.med.govt.nz/energy/nzeq/. The Ministry also provides up-to-date information via its energy data web pages at www.med.govt.nz/energy/data/.