Tinseltown Highlights Successful Cross
Tinseltown Highlights the Successful Pentire-Marscay Cross
Karaka Premier Sale graduate Tinseltown became the third group winner for the Pentire - Marscay cross, when he sprinted clear of his rivals in yesterday's Group 2 First Sovereign Trust Avondale Cup (2200m).
Tinseltown was bred by Bill Stewart of Wanganui and purchased by Paul Moroney Bloodstock from Martindale Stud for $70,000 at the 2005 Premier Yearling Sale. The group of owners includes G J Duff, M J Gatt, I E McCarrison, P A Moroney, J S Myers, R P Rosenberg & G J Williams, many of which were also involved with the Moroney-conditioned superstar, Xcellent. The win marked the second success in a feature race this week for trainers Mike and Paul Moroney.
Pentire (Be My Guest - Gull Nook, by Shirley Heights)
The blood of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond S. Gr.1 (GB) and Irish Champion S. Gr.1 (Ire) winner Pentire (Be My Guest) and Group 1 Golden Slipper winner Marscay (Biscay) are proving to complement each other well. Pentire has 12 named progeny by Marscay, or sons of Marscay (Jetball and Maizcay), of which 10 have raced (83%). Of these 10, seven have won (70% winners to runners), and three have won Group races (30% group winners to runners). Remarkably two of these three were Group 1 winners Pantani (ex Dewamar) and Penny Gem (ex Gemscay), while the third was Tinseltown's Group 2 victory.
The next possible starts for Tinseltown, as discussed by the training team, are the City of Auckland Cup on January 1, with the main focus on the Wellington Cup towards the end of that month.
There are three Pentire yearlings out of mares by Marscay or one of his sons available for buyers to purchase at the Karaka Yearling Sales in January. They include:
Lot 163: Br.C. Pentire x Our Tristajet (Jetball) - Esker Lodge as agent
· This brown colt is a half brother to Group 3 and Stakes placed Magic Tryst (Magic Ring) from the family of champion sire Miswaki (Mr. Prospector).
· Shelley Murtagh of Esker Lodge commented "he is a lovely dark brown colt with balance, strength, and a nice bit of leg. He is correct, stands over a bit of ground and has a lot of Pentire about him, especially through his head and in his colouring"
Lot 604: Br.C. Pentire x L'Affair (Marscay) - Bluegables Farm
· This brown colt is from L'Affair, a grand-daughter of Sweetbreads (Secretariat) who placed fourth in Tappiano's Group 1 Belmont Matron Stakes.
· Monty Henderson of Bluegables Farm commented "This is the best colt in our draft. We mated the mare specifically for the cross and we have been well rewarded. He is a good sized colt with lots of quality and real presence to go with his great attitude".
Lot 614: Br.F. Pentire x Legs Akimbo (Marscay) - Rich Hill Stud
· This brown filly hails from a terrific Australian family including second dam Leggings who won multiple races at stakes level, as well as Group 1 winners Trappings, Sound Horizon, and Cat's Fun.
· Rich Hill's John Thompson comments, "Scott Williams and I purchased this mare in Australia especially to visit Pentire after the success of the Pentire - Marscay nick. This filly is a correct, well grown individual with Pentire's dark brown colouring. She has a special bit of quality about her and a lovely nature to go with it".
There was further feature race glory at Avondale for NZB graduates in the Group 2 The Original Aussie Butcher Concorde (1200m), which was captured by Pinsoir.
The son of Pins out of Variety Star, bred by WI Bowyer & M Grafas, ended up taking the victory by a long head over fellow graduate, Jazella (Black Minnaloushe). Still owned in part by breeder WI Bowyer along with BE & Mrs HJ Shannon, the training duties of Pinsoir lie with Paul Duncan.
Pinsoir went through the ring at the 2004 New Zealand Bloodstock Ready to Run Sale and Jazella was purchased at the 2005 Select Yearling Sale. A full brother to Jazella will be available under the consignment of Westgate Thoroughbreds at the New Zealand Bloodstock's Premier Sale in January.
New Zealand Bloodstock graduates dominated the Premier Day of racing with wins in six out of the ten races. Other winners included Clyde River (Danske ex Luzarches) in the WHK Gosling Chapman Premier (1600m), Castle Heights (Golan ex Caernarfon) in the Carol's & Deli's Sports Bar Premier (2200m), Crossword (Cape Cross ex Miss Morrinsville) in the John Mudgway Memorial Premier (1400m) and finally two-year-old Rachine (Pins ex Martini) in the LA-Z-Boy Chair Premier (1100m).