Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Orange roughy recovery a major success story

Orange roughy recovery a major success story

Good fisheries management has yielded results for the economy and the environment, says New Zealand Seafood Industry Council chief executive Peter Bodeker.

The comment comes after yesterday’s (Wednesday 22 September) changes to hoki and orange roughy catch limits, announced by the Minister of Aquaculture and Fisheries.

“We’ve seen some increases in catch limits and some reductions. The good news from our point of view is that the Minister has used the best available science to set these limits, so we can be confident the changes will keep our fisheries sustainable,” Mr Bodeker said.

The Minister’s decision to reopen the orange roughy fishery on the Challenger Plateau, west of the south island, was “an irrefutable endorsement of the success of New Zealand’s fisheries management system”.

“Here we have a fishery which was closed for 10 years to let it rebuild that can now be sustainably reopened with a small commercial catch limit. It’s proof that even a long-lived species like orange roughy can recover if it is managed with a combination of caution and good scientific information.”

Meanwhile, efforts to rebuild the orange roughy fishery on the Chatham Rise have resulted in the third of three reductions to the catch limit.

“Industry welcomes this reduction because sustainability is the bedrock of our business. The seafood industry contributes $1.4 billion to New Zealand’s economy and keeps more than 26,000 in work. We couldn’t do that if we didn’t look after the resource.”

Background



The Challenger Plateau orange roughy fishery (called ORH7A) has been closed since October 2000. It will reopen with a limit of 500 tonnes.

The catch limit for the Chatham Rise orange roughy fishery (called ORH3B) will be reduced from 8,350 to 4,840 tonnes, the third in a three-step phased reduction.

These changes to orange roughy catch limits, announced yesterday, are part of a suite of announced changes and will come into force at the beginning of the new fishing year on October 1.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Expenses Investigation: ANZ Boss Departs Under Cloud

Last month the bank said chief executive David Hisco was taking extended leave for health reasons. However, today it has said in addition to the health issues, the board was concerned about certain transactions after reviewing Mr Hisco's personal expenses. More>>

ALSO:

Wider Net Ban, Other Threats: Plan To Expand Protection For Maui And Hector’s Dolphins

The Government is taking action to expand and strengthen the protection for Māui and Hector’s dolphins with an updated plan to deal with threats to these native marine mammals. More>>

ALSO:

Fish & Game Support: Canterbury Officer Of Health Warns On Nitrates In Water

"Nitrate testing of 114 drinking water samples from across the Canterbury plains showed that more than half of them were above the level considered safe in the world's largest ever study on the impacts of nitrates in drinking water." More>>

ALSO:

Partnerships Investment Round: Government Invests In Cancer Research, Pines, Ryegrass

The Government will invest $14.4 million into transformative new scientific research programmes including cutting-edge cancer treatment and vertical farming, Research, Science and Innovation Minister Megan Woods announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Stats: Net Migration Remains High

“Since late 2014, annual net migration has ranged between 48,000 and 64,000,” population indicators manager Tehseen Islam said. “The only previous time net migration was at these levels was for a short period in the early 2000s.” More>>

ALSO:

>