Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Large increase in new housing consents for March

Large increase in new housing consents for March

Consents were issued for 1,559 new houses in March 2012, the highest monthly total since September 2008, Statistics New Zealand said today. This is an increase of 43 percent from March 2011.

"This is the highest number of new houses consented in a month for almost four years, and is a big increase from March last year," industry and labour statistics manager Blair Cardno said. "Most of this increase was concentrated in the Auckland and Canterbury regions."

Auckland had the largest regional increase in new houses (up 213), including 104 new apartments, in March 2012. No apartments were consented in the Auckland region in March 2011. This is the highest number of new houses consented in the Auckland region since April 2008.

The number of new houses consented also increased significantly in the Canterbury region. The majority of consents were for houses located outside Christchurch city in the surrounding districts. This increase partly reflects the low number of dwellings consented in March last year, likely due to the major earthquake on 22 February 2011. There were small increases in most other regions, with only Gisborne, the West Coast, and Hawke's Bay recording small decreases.

After removing seasonal fluctuations, there were large increases in the number of new houses, both including and excluding apartments, in March 2012. The trends for the number of new houses, both including and excluding apartments, have both been rising over the last year.

The value of residential building consents also rose significantly in March 2012, up 30 percent from March 2011. This is also the highest monthly figure since September 2008.

In Canterbury, earthquake-related building consents totalled $28 million in March 2012. Of this, $19 million was for non-residential work and $9 million was for residential work, including 16 new houses.

Data for building consents is obtained from all territorial authorities.

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1204/BuildingConsentsIssuedMar12HOTP.pdf

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news