Key Opens NZ’s Advanced New Infant Dairy Formula Facility
Prime Minister John Key Opens New Zealand’s Advanced New Infant Dairy Formula Facility to Supply Global Demand
After over 12 months preparation, New Zealand’s most
advanced pharmaceutical grade infant dairy formula
production facility opens to supply soaring demand overseas.
The new facility was officially open by Prime Minister John Key on Friday 29th July 2012 and addresses a rapid increase in global demand and a shortage of high quality wet dairy infant formula products. By the end of 2012 it expects to annually produce over 20 million cans of infant formula for the export market.
Building a facility that provides pharmaceutical standard dairy formulas on a scale large enough to meet international demand was not easy. It required over a year’s planning and a large investment in infrastructure, experience and technology. GMP pharmaceuticals already New Zealand largest pharmaceutical manufacturing and testing facility specializing in health supplements, was in a good position to meet the significant logistical requirements.
Although many associate the increase in demand for value added dairy products exclusively with infant formulas, functional protein dairy powders continues to be a growth market. These are used worldwide for everything from hospital meals to professional athletes.
The facility’s potential has already caught the attention of the government with a recent report released by the Ministry of Economic Development finding significant opportunities for growth in the value added export food market.
Minesh Patel, General Manager of GMP New Zealand says, “Although many countries are catching up, New Zealand occupies a unique position on the international stage. People trust the New Zealand brand and know we produce some of the world highest quality dairy products.”
“We are also the first New Zealand company
to apply strict pharmaceutical standards to infant formula.
International consumers need to know they are giving a safe
high quality product to their children. We really hope to
set an industry benchmark here.”
Despite significantly increasing demand, many New Zealand brands face an uphill battle entering in key growth markets.
Says Minesh, “Our aim is to help New Zealand take advantage of the skyrocketing demand for value added dairy products, while maintaining the high quality international consumers expect from New Zealand products. The brands we work with know the importance of leveraging New Zealand’s clean green image and come to us to ensure their products live up to expectations.”
GMP Pharmaceuticals is already producing value added dairy and health products for export to over 20 countries.
Over 150 key industry people are expected to attend the opening.
About GMP Pharmaceuticals
• GMP is an Australian investment with head office in Sydney. The New Zealand facility was opened in 2002.
• Because of the unique combination of technology, experience and a business model focused on community engagement, GMP quickly became New Zealand’s largest manufacturer of pharmaceutical grade health products.
• GMP’s New Zealand operation now employs 250 workers; Up to 100 new jobs may be created through the opening of the new dairy processing facility.
• Products manufactured by GMP are being sold in most Australia / New Zealand supermarket chains, chemist and many other specialist health stores,
• GMP also exports to over 20 different countries worldwide.
• GMP won many high profile awards including 2010 NZTE Award for Most Innovative Exporter.