Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


New look, new voices for the NZ Herald

Monday, August 27

New look, new voices for the NZ Herald

Some of New Zealand's best-known and most thought-provoking writers will join the New Zealand Herald when the newspaper moves to compact format in two weeks.

The Herald's new “dream team” of columnists includes Deborah Hill Cone, Toby Manhire, Rhys Darby and Jeremy Wells.

Journalists Hill Cone and Manhire join Tapu Misa, Sir Robert Jones, Mai Chen, Brian Rudman and Claire Trevett on the newspaper's opinion pages, in the main news section, each week.

Comedian Rhys Darby will write a weekly column in the new-look entertainment section; Colin Hogg starts a weekly TVreview; while Sarah Daniell's 12 Questions is extended to join Rachel Glucina's The Diary as a twice-weekly offering. Ana Samways' extremely popular Sideswipe column maintains its daily prominence – on the back page of the entertainment section.

The new-look newspaper will have a specialist, stapled business liftout each day – business editor Liam Dann and KiwiSaver specialist Helen Twose join respected commentators Fran O’Sullivan and Brian Fallow. And the new-look liftout will offer specialist pages each day – small business on Mondays; Property Matters on Tuesdays; Business Traveller on Wednesdays and innovation on Thursdays. The Business on Fridays retains its specialist columns and features.

In sport, broadcaster and former “newsboy” Jeremy Wells and journalist Dana Johannsen join the line-up, alongside the likes of Chris Rattue, Ian Jones, Wynne Gray, David Leggat, Dylan Cleaver and Steve Deane.

Acclaimed writer Peter Calder will pen an observational news column each Wednesday, while Rudman and Phoebe Falconer round out the columnists in the expanded Metro pages.

“It’s essential that the new newspaper offers fresh perspectives, and a diverse range of voices. We’ll also have more room for more debate, reader letters and contributed columns,” said editor Shayne Currie.

“We’re pleased to be able to build our stable, and lead daily debate and discussion - through print and our digital platforms.”

The new-look NZ Herald hits the streets on September 10. Readers can keep up to date with the evolution of the new weekday Herald by visiting www.nzherald.co.nz/themoreyouknow

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Bad Day For Rope: Donaghys Job Losses Another Blow To Dunedin

The loss of 30 jobs from Donaghys rope and twine factory is yet another blow to the people and economy of Dunedin, says Dunedin South Labour MP Clare Curran. More>>

ALSO:

Oil: 2014 New Zealand Petroleum Summit

Simon Bridges: Our abundance of energy and minerals resources provides us with unique opportunities to build the New Zealand economy.

Over the past three years the Government has made significant changes to how the sector is regulated. More>>

ALSO:

WWF Report: Solutions In Reach; World Biodiversity Suffers Major Decline

Global wildlife populations have declined by more than half in just 40 years as measured in WWF's Living Planet Report 2014. Wildlife's continued decline highlights the need for sustainable solutions to heal the planet... More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: NZ Dollar Catches Breath After "Goldilocks" Slump

The New Zealand dollar edged up following its dramatic slump yesterday after the Reserve Bank confirmed speculation it intervened in the currency market last month and PM John Key suggested a “Goldilocks” level far lower than at present. More>>

ALSO:

Biosecurity: Kiwifruit Claim To Hold Officials Accountable For Psa

Kiwifruit growers have joined forces to hold Biosecurity NZ accountable in the courts for its negligence in allowing 2010’s Psa outbreak that devastated New Zealand’s kiwifruit industry and exports. Foundation claimants representing well ... More>>

ALSO:

Poison: Anglers Advised Not To Eat Trout In 1080 Areas

With the fishing season opening in just a few days (1 October 2014), anglers are being warned by the Department of Conservation(DOC) not to eat trout from pristine backcountry waters and their downstream catchments, where the department is conducting 1080 poisoning operations. More>>.

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand

Mosh Social Media
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news