New Zealand Business Demography Statistics: At February 2012
New Zealand Business Demography Statistics: At February 2012 key facts
Compared with February
2011, provisional figures at February 2012 showed:
• There were 469,120 enterprises in New Zealand, a decrease of 0.8 percent.
• Enterprise deaths exceeded enterprise births for the third consecutive year.
• There were 1.93 million paid employees (not an official employment statistic), an increase of 0.7 percent.
• Manufacturing remained the largest employer (224,200 employees) but the number of enterprises in this industry fell 1.8 percent.
• Non-employing enterprises continued to dominate enterprise numbers, accounting for 69 percent of the total.
• The number of paid employees in enterprises with 100 or more employees rose 1.1 percent.
• The number of business locations in the Christchurch central business district fell 34.6 percent, but the city as a whole had only a 2.5 percent decline.
Attached is information about the statistics released today.
Media release (pdf) Information release (pdf) Tables (xls)
(See attached file: BusinessDemographyStatisticsFeb12MR.pdf)(See attached file: BusinessDemographyStatisticsFeb12.pdf)(See attached file: nz-bd-2012-tables.xls)