Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Govt risks Maori wrath with oil and gas exploration offer

Govt risks Northland Maori wrath with new oil and gas exploration offer

By Pattrick Smellie

Nov. 8 (BusinessDesk) - The government is offering up a huge swathe of offshore Northland acreage for oil and gas exploration in a move that is sure to test a new iwi consultation protocol intended to minimise Maori protests against oil exploration, such as occurred off East Cape early last year.

Energy Minister Phil Heatley unveiled the proposed areas to be included in the 2013 "block offer" tender process, seeking expressions of interest from oil and gas explorers for acreage in five offshore areas: the Taranaki, Northland, Reinga, Canterbury and Great South Basins.

The Northland and Reinga basins stretch from north of Cape Reinga down the western side of the North Island and have long been identified by government geologists as having significant potential for oil and gas discoveries.

Shane Jones, a senior Labour Party Maori MP who hails from the north, welcomed the move, but predicted Mana Party leader Hone Harawira would "go off like an inflated balloon" on the issue, which has already attracted strong opposition from local environmental groups, including some Maori.

Jones said Labour supported the move in principle.

"Cape Reinga is very important in Maori mythology but the mining is a hang of a long way away from the Spirit Tree," he said. "My position: subject to observing the statutory framework, get on with it.

"The model more of us will be promoting is that Taranaki remains intact and has done economically well from the positive spillover from that industry."

Maori MP's and iwi leaders received briefings on the proposed exploration areas last night, ahead of today's public release. A detailed consultation will now occur with iwi and affected local councils until January 30, before a final decision about which areas to offer formally next April. Bids will be due from explorers by September 30 30, with decisions on allocation in December.

This is the second bidding round under the new block offer process, in which the government identifies areas it wants explored instead of waiting for explorers to seek acreage.

This time around, the process will see careful official adherence to guidelines, currently issued in draft form, which specify how iwi and local government consultations should occur. Other stakeholder groups are not covered by the guidelines, which are intended to respond to Treaty of Waitangi obligations and legal risks if adequate consultation is not deemed to have occurred.

The environmental lobby group Greenpeace and an East Cape iwi, Te Whanau a Apanui, tried in the High Court earlier this year to have an exploration licence covering part of the Raukumara Basin, offshore from East Cape, invalidated on the grounds of inadequate consultation.

While that bid failed, sensitivity to Maori concerns was heightened by last year's Raukumara protests, which involved naval surveillance of a protest flotilla during seismic surveys for the Brazilian oil giant Petrobras, as well as the court bid.

Bidders will be able to express interest in up to 10,000 square kilometres of exploration acreage in the so-called frontier basins, while blocks will be limited to no more than 2,500 square kilometres offshore Taranaki, New Zealand's only mature offshore hydrocarbons area.

Limited onshore acreage is also being offered, including further onshore territory in Poverty Bay, where local opposition, including an iwi element. Canadian and American companies TAG Oil and Apache Corp are exploring unconventional shale deposits for recoverable oil and gas.

Locals fear such deposits will require use of the controversial hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking", technology, which is subject to an investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment.

The PCE's report is due late this month, along with a report prepared for the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment on the economic potential of the oil and gas deposits known to exist onshore in the Hawke's Bay and Poverty Bay regions.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news