Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Ross Group receivers hold out little hope for missing $439M

Ross Group receivers hold out little hope for missing $439.4M

By Pattrick Smellie

Nov. 14 (BusinessDesk) - Court-appointed receivers have found records for just $10.2 million of the $449.6 million in investments purportedly managed by Ross Asset Management, a boutique Wellington investment firm run by David Ross, who has been hospitalised since a Financial Markets Authority raid on his premises earlier this month.

Preliminary investigations also suggests $60 million more was paid out by Ross to investors than was taken into his investment funds over the past five years to September, with a $24 million deficit of repayments to contributions in the past year alone.

John Fisk and David Bridgman of accounting firm PwC recommend that rather than spend more on the receivership, which has already cost $107,355, that the various Ross-related entities be placed in liquidation on the basis that the investment fund is "insolvent" with "a very significant shortfall identified to date as owing to investors."

"The returns to notified investors over the last 12-plus years would appear to be unrealistic and in all likelihood aggregated or falsified," their report says. "The Ross Group is currently unable to return even a small fraction of the reported value to investors."

Ross, formerly a share broker, managed funds on behalf of 900 privately wealthy individuals. A table in the 27 page report shows management fees averaging $4.4 million a year were paid in each of the last three years, and that fees had run at well above $1 million a year since 2004.

The PwC investigation found inadequate record-keeping and has been unable to source much of the documentary evidence for trading and investment holdings that it needs to complete a full picture of what looks to have the characteristics of a Ponzi-style scheme, where investors were paid out at least in part using other investors' funds.

"Withdrawals by investors during these periods (the last five years), appear to have largely been funded by pooled funds which include the contributions made by other investors, coupled with the sale of investments," says the report by the receivers, who were appointed by the High Court last week to secure as best they could the Ross assets. "This is of concern given the group's inability to meet further withdrawal requests made by investors in the last six months."

Amongst records found were a number of investments with lower values than the original cost prices recorded by Ross.

"Furthermore, we have evidenced from recent contract notes of the group, trading losses on a number of shares, many of which appear to be low value and high risk stocks."

The Ross group's database purports to show investments worth $449.6 million, of which $152.4 million is said to be held in Australian investments, another $136.1 million in Canada, some $156.4 million in the US, $3.8 million in New Zealand, and $943,332 elsewhere. Of this, some $437.6 million was held by a Ross group subsidiary, Bevis Marks.

However, assets worth just $10.2 million, and $200,000 in cash deposits, had been identified in the receivers' initial searches, which they described as a matter of "considerable concern.'

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Leighton-Led WGP To Build, Manage Transmission Gully

The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Gareth Morgan: The Government’s Fresh Water Policy – Revisited

Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>

ALSO:

Interest Rates: RBNZ Hikes OCR To 3.5%, ‘Period Of Assessment’ Now Needed

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Canpac Site 'Resize' To Focus More On Paediatrics

Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Postie Plus Brand Gets 2nd Chance With Well-Funded Pepkor

The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>

ALSO:

Warming: Warming Signs From State Of Climate Report

Climate data from air, land, sea and ice in 2013 'reflect trends of a warming planet' -- says the latest State of the Climate report, launched by U.S. and New Zealand scientists. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news