Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Bathurst chairman slams never-ending appeals in NZ system

Bathurst chairman slams never-ending appeals in NZ system

Nov. 20 (BusinessDesk) - Bathurst Resources chairman Craig Munro has thanked shareholders for their patience as the would-be Denniston Plateau coal miner deals with "what seems like the never ending appeals process that allows minority groups to stifle development in New Zealand."

Speaking at Bathurst's annual meeting in Sydney, Munro bemoaned the appeals mounted by environmental objectors to the company's plans for open-cut mining of high grade coking coal on the previously mined and ecologically significant plateau above Westport.

"This is obviously very time-consuming, costly and non-productive from both company's and the majority of New Zealanders' point of view, but under current legislation necessary."

The company was "actively working to reach a settlement with the appellants", the Royal Forest and Bird Society and a West Coast environmental action network opposed to coal mining.

Neither objector has given any indication a negotiated settlement would be possible.

"It is only once we reach our target production profile and our borrowing facilities have been repaid that dividends could potentially start to flow to our shareholders," said Munro.

However, the company remained optimistic that appeals currently being heard on both resource consent issues and climate change impacts would be cleared away in the first half of next year, to allow production to being in mid-2013.

The Buller coal project is targeting 1 million tonnes of coal a year from its first mine, Escarpment, and ultimately is targeting 4 million tonnes a year by 2018.

Munro noted political support for the project from Prime Minister John Key.

"Political leaders both want and need us to succeed," he said.

Bathurst has faced criticism and impatience, particularly from Australian shareholders accustomed to less complex resource consenting processes. Its shares were steady today at 44 cents, and have traded between $1.10 and 36 cents in the last 12 months.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news