Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Pyne Gould plunges 19 percent to record low on NZ exit plans

Pyne Gould plunges 19 percent to record low after annual meeting

By Paul McBeth

Nov. 29 (BusinessDesk) - Shares in Pyne Gould Corp plunged to a record low after yesterday's annual meeting where chairman Bryan Mogridge told investors the firm will probably quit New Zealand.

The stock sank 19 percent to 22 cents in trading this morning, with about 0.08 percent of shares on issue changing hands. The shares have shed a third of their value this month, and are now trading at a 41 percent discount to what managing director and controlling shareholder George Kerr paid earlier this year.

Kerr paid 37 cents a share to take control of the company with 77 percent, while warning that the difficult process of selling assets meant Pyne Gould was no longer a generator of dividend income.

The trading comes a day after the company's annual meeting in Auckland, where chairman Mogridge repeated his warning that the company won't pay dividends and told investors the board is “seriously considering the domicile of the company,” which is unlikely to be New Zealand, and will update the market on its decision when it is made.

The firm has almost exited its last New Zealand asset, with Kerr overseas trying to finalise a deal to sell the Perpetual wealth management assets. It had previously sold the corporate trust unit in a management buy-out.

Pyne Gould is looking to get a return of more than 15 percent over a decade on its $97.5 million of net assets.

Its Torchlight Investment Group owns 19.7 percent of investor Torchlight Fund 1, which runs until 2019, and Torchlight Fund 2, which holds remaining bad loans carved off when Marac Finance was sold into Heartland New Zealand.

Pyne Gould’s Torchlight Securities owns 27 percent of Equity Partners Infrastructure Company No. 1 which in turn owns 17 percent of UK motorway services company Moto International Holdings.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news