Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Business fined after worker crushed unloading container

6 December 2012

Business fined after worker crushed unloading container

A Mangere freight business has been ordered to pay a fine of $50,000 and reparation of $5,000 - in addition to $10,000 that had already been paid - after an 18 year old contractor was crushed unloading a shipping container.

The District Court at Manukau heard yesterday that on September, 8 last year at the Brigade Road, Mangere premises of CT Logistics Ltd, workers were unloading crates containing glass sheets.

As a large crate was removed from the container on a fork-lift it became unstable. The contractor tried to stop it from falling off but was unsuccessful. As the contents shifted in the container it fell off the fork-lift and landed on him causing a fractured skull, lacerations, a broken arm and bruising to most of his body.

CT Logistics Ltd pleaded guilty to two charges under the Health and Safety in Employment Act; one in relation to the injured contractor and another contractor, and one in relation to its own employee. All were exposed to the risk of harm while unloading the container.

John Howard, Northern Division General Manager, Health and Safety said: “This type of industry can be fast-moving and high-pressured as containers and vehicles are loaded and unloaded to tight deadlines and in confined spaces.

“However there is no excuse for not carrying out work this work in a safe environment. The company should have ensured a risk assessment had been carried out; used the safest and most appropriate method for removing this type of cargo; kept the area clear of non-essential personnel and ensured those carrying out the work were are adequately trained and supervised.


“None of these things happened resulting in a severe injury to a worker that could easily have been avoided.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Tech Sector Report: Joyce Warns Asian Tech Investors View NZ As Hobbits And Food

Speaking in Wellington at the launch of a report showcasing the value of the technology sector to the New Zealand economy, Joyce said more had to be done to tell the country's technology stories overseas. More>>

ALSO:

Mediaglommeration: APN Gets OIO Approval For Demerger Plan

APN News & Media has received Overseas Investment Office approval for its plan to split out its NZME unit ahead of a potential merger with rival Fairfax Media's New Zealand operations. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news