Zabeel Still Starring at Karaka
Zabeel Still Starring at Karaka
With 44 yearlings by this Champion Sire, and a further 79 yearlings from his mares set to be featured at Karaka 2013, Zabeel is continuing his reign as one of the leading sires in Australasian history through the deeds of his racetrack progeny and his daughters at stud.
A sire that has set many records in the sales ring, Zabeel – at the ripe age of 26 – is still producing Derby winners and Melbourne Cup runners, but increasingly his legacy is being carried through his daughters who are proving potent producers of Group 1 racehorses.
Zabeel’s damsire record makes for impressive reading:
• Damsire of 104 stakes winners – 22 at Group 1 level.
• Leading performers include horses such as Ocean Park, Atlantic Jewel, Dear Demi, It’s a Dundeel, Invest, Silent Achiever, Planet Rock and Commanding Jewel – all recent Group 1 winners.
• Champion Broodmare Sire in both Australia & New Zealand for the first time last season, and already heading off the mighty Danehill for a commanding lead again this season.
• His daughters’ progeny earned $12,587,164 in stakes in Australia last season – within $100,000 of what Champion Sire Fastnet Rock’s progeny earned.
Taking this record into account and the fact that horses from Zabeel mares include some of the best racing in Australasia at present, the 79 yearlings from Zabeel’s daughters at New Zealand Bloodstock’s 2013 Karaka Yearling Sales offers buyers a big opportunity.
Included in the line-up of yearlings from Zabeel mares at Karaka 2013 are:
• The Pins half-brother to the reigning Cox Plate Champion Ocean Park (Lot 330).
• A Pins colt from the dual Group 1 winning mare Bazelle (Lot 31).
• The Alamosa half-brother to Group 1 winner Planet Rock (Lot 4).
• Siblings to Group and stakes winners Estelle Collection (Lot 14), Pure Harmony (Lot 28), Larry’s Never Late & Collar (Lot 215), Amaryllis & Papilio (Lot 218), Headturner & Anacheeva (Lot 264), and La Sizeranne (Lot 404).
Eight yearlings in the Sale are bred on the dynamo High Chaparral/Zabeel cross. Only lightly tried, the cross has seen eight runners for six winners including Group 1 winner It’s a Dundeel, Group 2 winner Hidden Asset and stakes placed Utopia.
Amongst these eight High Chaparral yearlings are:
• The colt from the family of Mosheen and Might and Power (Lot 97).
• The half-brother to current Group winners Dolmabache and Pure Elegance (Lot 282).
The Zabeel line has proven very successful with the famous Eight Carat family – producing the likes of Shower of Roses and Tristalove – and the family of Horlicks through the deeds of Fiumicino and Brew. Zabeel mares from these leading New Zealand families have a number of yearlings on offer including entries by Pins (Lot 107), Henrythenavigator (Lot 146), Mastercraftsman (Lot 261), Tavistock (Lot 359) and Keeper (Lot 436).
Zabeel’s own draft of 44 yearlings is also full of highlights, all set to be offered in the Premier Sale (28 & 29 January). They include:
• The colt from the seven-time Group 1 winning mare Seachange (Lot 332).
• A half-brother to the Australian Derby winner and young sire Nom du Jeu (Lot 299).
• The half-brother to pin-up Karaka graduate and ten-time Group 1 winner (King) Mufhasa (Lot 339).
Also among Zabeel’s draft is the half-sister to the current NZB Filly of the Year Series leader Fix (Lot 103) who has won two Group 2 legs of the Series over the Christmas and New Year Period. The filly is also a sister to the smart four-year-old gelding Delivery who has won four of his five starts in the Lloyd Williams’ colours in Melbourne, and a half-sister to Galileo’s Destiny who is Group 1 placed in South Africa.
New Zealand Bloodstock’s National Yearling Sales Series at Karaka will be held from Monday 28 January to Monday 4 February. To view the catalogues online please visit www.nzb.co.nz. For more information contact the team at NZB on +64 9 298 0055.