Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Builders urged to make safety a priority in 2013

Media release

17 January 2013

Builders urged to make safety a priority in 2013

Last year health and safety inspectors issued over 1,000 notices and written warnings to construction companies performing work at height unsafely.

Inspectors from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment assessed more than 1,600 construction sites in 2012 as part of the Preventing Falls from Height project, which aims to reduce injuries and fatalities caused by falls in the construction sector.

The project continues in 2013 and construction workers are urged to make safety a priority in the New Year.

“The Ministry will continue to target sites that carry out work at height unsafely and those companies that put their workers at risk,” says Francois Barton, the Ministry’s Southern Division General Manager.

“We want to see enforcement figures improving in 2013 – safe work at height should be standard practice in the industry.”

“Despite the high number of notices and warnings issued last year, it has been very positive to see some construction companies using innovative solutions to ensure their staff are safe while working at height. Companies are using adaptive scaffolding systems, mobile stair systems instead of ladders, and soft landing systems to stop workers getting hurt from falling off the top plate.”

“Many of these solutions are also increasing productivity by improving access for builders and the tradespeople that work alongside them.”

Builders, roofers, electrical workers, painters and decorators are the most likely to fall from height and get seriously hurt while they are working.

“Tradespeople are going back to work after a few weeks off, so now is the time for a renewed focus on safety issues,” Mr Barton says.

Hundreds of construction workers are injured on building sites every year – these accidents are preventable if every care is taken. Workers must make safety a priority, particularly over summer when there is an overall increase in workplace injury.

“Working long hours in the sun can take its toll, so it is also important for workers to look after themselves both physically and mentally – take breaks and stay hydrated, and keep an eye on stress and fatigue levels,” Mr Barton says.

“Health and safety is the responsibility of everyone on the site. We all have a role to play in improving workplace safety – doing nothing is not an option.”

More information on the preventing Falls from height project is available at http://dol.govt.nz/prevent-falls/index.asp

[ends]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Tech Sector Report: Joyce Warns Asian Tech Investors View NZ As Hobbits And Food

Speaking in Wellington at the launch of a report showcasing the value of the technology sector to the New Zealand economy, Joyce said more had to be done to tell the country's technology stories overseas. More>>

ALSO:

Mediaglommeration: APN Gets OIO Approval For Demerger Plan

APN News & Media has received Overseas Investment Office approval for its plan to split out its NZME unit ahead of a potential merger with rival Fairfax Media's New Zealand operations. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news