Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Two sackings in reshuffle; Smith back; Bridges, Kaye winners

Two sackings in reshuffle; Smith back; Bridges, Kaye, Woodhouse move up

By Pattrick Smellie

Jan 22 (BusinessDesk) - Prime Minister John Key welcomed Nick Smith back into the Cabinet in a reshuffle in which he has also sacked the Labour and Conservation Minister, Kate Wilkinson, and Energy and Housing Minister Phil Heatley.

He also relieved Associate Education Minister Craig Foss of his responsibility for the Novopay system for paying teachers, putting that in the hands of Cabinet fix-it man and Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce.

Smith returns to Cabinet as Minister of Housing and Conservation, while relatively junior Minister Nathan Guy will become Minister of Primary Industries, replacing David Carter, who will become Parliament's Speaker to replace Lockwood Smith, who is to become High Commissioner in London.

Perhaps the biggest winner is Simon Bridges. A novice Associate Minister of Climate Change since last year, Bridges will add the heavyweight Energy and Labour portfolios and becomes a minister inside Cabinet.

Chris Tremain will become Minister of Local Government, a portfolio that Smith might have expected to pick up, having been architect of major reforms now occurring.

Two other big winners are Auckland Central MP Nikki Kaye and Senior Whip Michael Woodhouse. Kaye takes Food Safety, Youth Affairs and Civil Defence and Associate Education Minister. Woodhouse will be a minister outside Cabinet with responsibility for the Immigration and Veterans Affairs portfolios.

Foss picks up Consumer Affairs and keeps his commerce portfolio, while dropping Associate Education, where he was nominally in charge of the botched Novopay implementation. Hekia Parata maintains the Education portfolio.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news