Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


SFO's Hawkins Construction probe ends without charges

SFO's Hawkins Construction probe ends without charges

Jan 22 (BusinessDesk) -The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) has walked away from an investigation of Hawkins Construction while claiming there were some "unusual" aspects to contracts in a project for state-owned Transpower.

The urgent investigation is now closed with no charges being laid.

The SFO raided two offices New Zealand's largest construction company last year in an investigation of Hawkins' work on the $419 million upgrade of Transpower's Hobson Street substation in Auckland.

"While the manner in which the parties conducted their business appears to us to be unusual, we have evidence from industry experts that it is entirely possible that those involved honestly believed the conduct was legitimate," acting SFO chief executive Simon McArley said.

"In light of that it cannot be concluded that the criminal threshold has been reached," he said.

Investigators did not find an intention to deceive, which is required for a criminal prosecution.

A genuine concern was raised in good faith but was not found to be substantiated in this case, Mr McArley said.

But he fired a parting shot at the construction industry, saying the SFO now had a greater understanding of its "nuances" and it would not be the last time it would look at the issues in this case.

Hawkins is the project manager of the Hobson Street substation project.
The building work is delegated to a variety of subcontractors managed by Hawkins.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news