Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Chorus GM in charge of UFB, RBI rollout resigns

Chorus GM in charge of UFB, RBI rollout resigns

Feb. 7 (BusinessDesk) - Chorus' executive in charge of building its tax-payer funded broadband programmes will leave the telecommunications network operator at the end April.

General manager of network build Chris Dhyrberg decided to resign from Chorus over Christmas, and will stay on for another three months, the company said in a statement. Dhyrberg has been responsible for the roll-out of the ultra-fast broadband fibre network and the company's joint venture with Vodafone New Zealand to deliver the rural broadband initiative.

"I accepted Chris resignation with much regret. He's been with Chorus since our inception and has been heavily involved in all aspects of the RBI and UFB programmes," chief executive Mark Ratcliffe said. "He's worked incredibly hard over an extended period, and all of us at Chorus owe him a vote of thanks for that."

Dhyrberg's resignation comes as Chorus digs in over the Commerce Commission's draft ruling on how the network operator prices its copper lines, which Chorus will deter consumers take-up of fibre and stymie investment.

Responsibility for the UFB and RBI builds will go to GM of infrastructure operations Ed Beattie, the company said.

Chorus was spun-out from Telecom as a separately-listed company last year to free up the telecommunications company from its regulatory burden and allow the network operator to successfully win a billion dollar subsidy to build a nationwide fibre network and rural broadband system.

Some 80 percent of the network company’s revenue is still derived from the ageing copper network, and is subject to the Commerce Commission’s pricing review.

Chorus' shares fell 0.7 percent to $2.86 on Tuesday, and have shed 2.7 percent this year.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news