Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Independent News moves resolution for APN director clean-out

Independent News moves resolution for APN boardroom clean-out

By Paul McBeth

Feb. 18 (BusinessDesk) - Independent News & Media, the Irish media group controlled by billionaire Denis O'Brien, wants a complete clean-out of APN News & Media's boardroom after gunning for chief executive Brett Chenoweth's head last week.

The Irish group has made an official request for a general meeting that would put APN directors Chenoweth, Melinda Conrad, John Harvey, Kevin Luscombe, John Maasland and chairman Peter Hunt on the block. The survivors would include INM's appointees Paul Connolly, Vincent Crowley, former INM director Peter Cosgrove and deputy chair Ted Harris.

The boardroom stoush emerged last week, and has been linked to Chenoweth's plans for a pro-rata capital raising that has the blessing of adviser Macquarie Capital. APN said another announcement regarding the capital raising and other matters will come later today and the stock remains halted in the meantime.

INM holds about 29 percent of APN, and O'Brien has a further 1.8 percent on his personal account, and could force APN’s hand with the support of fund manager Allan Gray’s 20 percent stake in the company.

Allan Gray managing director Simon Marais told the Australian Financial Review last week he opposed the rights issue, and has previously said he favours a tie-up with Fairfax Media Group, of which he's also a substantial shareholder.

Angus Gluskie, head of Sydney-based White Funds Management, doesn't specifically follow APN, but says a cheap offer to raise capital could attract interest from bargain hunters as the downturn in media starts to abate.

"You can see some potential appetite because the cycle is turning more favourably," Gluskie said.

INM agreed to sell its South African unit for 2 billion rand to a consortium led by Sekunjalo Holdings on Sunday, according to a Reuters report. That leaves APN as its only operation outside Ireland.

APN is grappling with falling advertising revenue and plans to sell non-core media assets in New Zealand following a strategic review of operations in this country. It took an A$485 million charge against its New Zealand publishing assets unit as part of the ongoing review.

The stock, which was halted last week at 30 Australian cents, is rated an average 'underperform' based on 11 analyst recommendations compiled by Reuters with a median target price at 31.5 Australian cents. That gives it a market capitalisation of A$199.5 million, compared to the A$900.6 million enterprise valuation.

INM has gone through its own boardroom battle in recent years after O'Brien successfully ousted the O'Reilly family, after a ceasefire between the billionaires in 2009.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tourism: China Southern Airlines To Fly To Christchurch

China Southern Airlines, in partnership with Christchurch Airport and the South Island tourism industry, has announced today it will begin flying directly between Guangzhou, Mainland China and the South Island. More>>

ALSO:

Dodgy: Truck Shops Come Under Scrutiny

Mobile traders, or truck shops, target poorer communities, particularly in Auckland, with non-compliant contracts, steep prices and often lower-quality goods than can be bought at ordinary shops, a Commerce Commission investigation has found. More>>

ALSO:

Auckland Transport: Government, Council Agree On Funding Approach

The government and Auckland Council have reached a detente over transport funding, establishing a one-year, collaborative timetable for decisions on funding for the city's transport infrastructure growth in the next 30 years after the government refused to fund the $2 billion of short and medium-term plans outlined in Auckland's draft Unitary Plan. More>>

ALSO:

Bullish On China Shock: Slumping Equities, Commodities May Continue, But Not A GFC

The biggest selloff in stock markets in at least four years, slumping commodity prices and a surge in Wall Street's fear gauge don't mean the world economy is heading for another global financial crisis, fund managers say. More>>

ALSO:

Real Estate: Investors Driving Up Auckland Housing Risk - RBNZ

The growing presence of investors in Auckland's property market is increasing the risks, and is likely to both amplify the housing cycle and worsen the potential damage from a downturn both to the financial system and the broader economy, said Reserve Bank deputy governor Grant Spencer. More>>

ALSO:

Annual Record: Overseas Visitors Hit 3 Million Milestone

Visitor arrivals to New Zealand surpassed 3 million for the first time in the July 2015 year, Statistics New Zealand said today. The record-breaking 3,002,982 visitors this year was 7 percent higher than the July 2014 year. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news