Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Govt tips $60M into NZVIF to encourage private investors

Govt tips further $60M into venture fund to encourage private investors

Feb. 27 (BusinessDesk) – The government is backing the New Zealand Venture Investment Fund with a further $60 million as part of its efforts to encourage more private investment.

The latest injection follows a previous $40 million underwrite and is on top of the $160 million the government has already allocated to the venture capital programme.

“The underwrite facility is a contingent liability rather than an upfront sum,” said Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce. “It provides the flexibility so that NZVIF can continue to make commitments into new venture capital funds and then use future cash flows from existing investments to meet those commitments.”

NZVIF was set up by the government in 2002 as a private equity fund of funds investor, with about $200 million under management, made up of the $160 million Venture Capital Fund of Funds and the $40 million Seed Co-investment Fund.

So far it has invested $117 million in 126 companies which have gone on to raise total investment capital of $700 million, generated revenue of $1.25 billion and export earnings of $945 million. Notables include Orion Health, SLI Systems, PowerbyProxi, Booktrack, BioVittoria and Zephyr Technology.

“Capital markets are the growth engine for the economy but some parts can be strengthened,” Joyce said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Finance: Major Campaign To End "Gross Overtaxation Of Savings"

The campaign – which includes a special web site through which New Zealanders can e-mail their own and other MPs and party leaders – is backed by Age Concern, Consumer NZ, the Financial Services Council and the Taxpayers’ Union. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Leighton-Led WGP To Build, Manage Transmission Gully

The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Gareth Morgan: The Government’s Fresh Water Policy – Revisited

Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>

ALSO:

Interest Rates: RBNZ Hikes OCR To 3.5%, ‘Period Of Assessment’ Now Needed

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Canpac Site 'Resize' To Focus More On Paediatrics

Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Postie Plus Brand Gets 2nd Chance With Well-Funded Pepkor

The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news