Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


MightyRiverPower sale seen up to 90% taken up by kiwis

MightyRiverPower to have secondary listing on ASX, up to 90% kiwi uptake seen

March 4 (BusinessDesk) – MightRiverPower will have a secondary listing on the ASX although 85 percent to 95 percent of the stock sold is expected to be taken up by kiwis, Prime Minister John Key says.

Pre-registration of interest starts tomorrow and is expected to be concluded by mid-May. There will be a minimum $1,000 subscription and no scaling back for New Zealand citizens up to $2,000, Key said in Wellington.

Details of a loyalty bonus scheme, rewarding shareholders who retain their stake for a certain time, are still to come though on the current sale timeline, the company should be listed before the Budget in May, subject to market conditions.

The initial public offering of 49 percent of MightyRiverPower, estimated to raise $1.5 billion, is the first of a series of selldowns of state assets aimed at raising $5 billion to $7 billion that the government says will be spent on public good assets such as schools and hospitals.

“We envisage that with the government’s majority shareholding, total New Zealand ownership will be 85-90 percent of the company after the share offer,” Key said in a statement.

The Supreme Court last week cleared the way for the sale by dismissing a challenge by the Maori Council that indigenous claims to water rights needed to be settled first.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news