Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


China Southern Airlines Agreement The Way Forward

Media release

9 April 2013

China Southern Airlines Agreement The Way Forward

An agreement to make it easier for high-value, low-risk Chinese tourists to visit New Zealand is being hailed a success by the head of Immigration New Zealand (INZ).

Nigel Bickle made his comments at a public re-signing of the agreement with China Southern Airlines (CSA) in the airline’s hub city of Guangzhou, where he signed the document on behalf of the Government.

“There has been a huge surge in the number of visitors from China over the past few years,” Mr Bickle says. “China has now overtaken the UK as the second largest source of overseas visitors to New Zealand with more than 190,000 arrivals a year.

“The bulk of the increase in numbers is a direct result of China Southern Airlines starting direct flights to Auckland two years ago and the new agreement is designed to boost numbers even more.”

Mr Bickle points out that increasing the number of visitors and migrants from new markets such as China is a key priority to growing the economy.

Under the agreement CSA Gold and Silver frequent flyer card holders do not have to produce evidence of sufficient funds to support themselves, as long as they can show their flight records over the previous two years.

Mr Bickle says that nearly 100 travellers have used the scheme since it came into effect in November last year and no compliance issues have emerged.

“INZ is endeavouring to process applications under this scheme within five working days and there’s no doubt that the scheme is operating smoothly,” he says.

“I’m confident that the scheme will result in more Chinese visitors coming to New Zealand and saying for longer.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news