Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Bathurst shares plunge 19% on appeal news

Bathurst shares plunge 19% on appeal news

By Pattrick Smellie

April 12 (BusinessDesk) - Shares of would-be coking coal miner Bathurst Resources plunged 18.75 percent to 26 cents after the first appeal from environmental groups opposing an Environment Court decision upholding its Escarpment open-cut mine resource consents.

The announcement from the Royal New Zealand Forest & Bird Society and West Coast Environmental Network came less than a day after the company said it hoped to be mining by Christmas.

The long-delayed mine, planned for the ecologically fragile Denniston Plateau above Westport, won backing from the Environment Court on March 28 against appeals on the resource consents initially granted in August 2011.

The Forest & Bird appeal lodged in the High Court today relates to a technical aspect of the consents, relating to a mined-out area previously worked by state-owned coal miner Solid Energy.

Bathurst chief executive Hamish Bohannan told BusinessDesk the appeal should not be seen as triggering the four to six month delay he warned appeals would likely create in a teleconference to media and equity analysts on Thursday.

"It shouldn't have any impact on the timing," said Bohannan, who conceded that could depend on achieving a timely hearing. The Bathurst development has been dogged by delays, to the frustration of Australian shareholders used to faster, simpler decision-making.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news