Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZ meat cleared to move from across Chinese wharves

NZ meat cleared to move from across Chinese wharves, as ministry chided for mistake

May 23 (BusinessDesk) – New Zealand meat has been cleared to move across Chinese wharves as soon as next week though the administrative logjam has been sheeted home to the Ministry for Primary Industries.

Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy announced the breakthrough while chiding his department for submitting paperwork in a format that hadn’t yet been approved by China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ).

That “caused confusion for Chinese inspectors” and was a mistake in one of the ministry’s core functions that “should never have occurred,” Guy said in a statement.

“I am very disappointed in the Ministry of Primary Industries for its mistakes in certification which have caused this delay,” he said.

Guy expressed gratitude to Chinese officials for “their willingness to work constructively with New Zealand officials to find a way through this administrative error.” And he thanked the New Zealand meat industry for its patience.

Guy said the director general of the ministry had issued explicit instructions to ensure there wasn’t a repeat, saying the mistake “was highly unusual.”

"I'm disappointed it has taken so long to get to the bottom of this problem and for the ministry to come up with a proper explanation,” Guy said. “This has been frustrating for myself, the public and meat exporters.”

Chinese authorities have agreed to release consignments under the name of the New Zealand Food Safety Authority, Guy said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Court Ruling: Kiwifruit NZ Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news