Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZ Post to cut 120 jobs, shrink mail processing to 3 sites

NZ Post to cut 120 jobs, shrinking mail processing to 3 sites from 6

June 26 (BusinessDesk) – New Zealand Post, the state-owned postal service, will reduce its processing centres to three from six, shedding a net 120 jobs, as it seeks to rein in costs in the face of falling mail volumes.

Mail will be processed at mail centres in Auckland, Palmerston North and Christchurch and processing will end at its Hamilton, Wellington, Dunedin and in satellite processing sites, the Wellington-based company said in a statement. The changes will be phased in through 2014.

“The number of pieces of mail being processed has fallen by nearly 200 million in the last decade,” said chief executive Brian Roche. “We looked at all options and decided this plan will allow New Zealand Post to achieve savings on a meaningful scale while maintaining a high-quality service across New Zealand.”

Roche said mail volumes are falling by about 8 percent a year. Growth in the postal service’s parcel delivery business isn’t enough to make up for the decline, he said on a conference call. Savings would amount to $20 million to $30 million “over time.”

“Not to make the necessary changes now would imperil a network which is a vital component of the New Zealand economy and community,” he said. He can’t rule out further changes.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Court Ruling: Kiwifruit NZ Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news