Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Centreport Resumes Operations After Quake Checks

Centreport Resumes Operations After Quake Checks

CentrePort says it has resumed all port operations today, after engineers checked the company’s buildings and infrastructure yesterday, which had been affected by Sunday’s 6.5 magnitude earthquake.

Chairman Warren Larsen says all port workers and tenants were safe and accounted for, though many were unnerved by the earthquake that happened at 5.09pm on Sunday night.

He said almost all port services continued unaffected by the shakes, but the container terminal was temporarily suspended, pending checks by geotechnical engineers.

“We called in the experts to check both the land and structures at the port and were able to resume normal operations, which included unloading a container ship at 5pm yesterday, and the resumption of ferry services.”

Mr Larsen said engineers had assessed all port infrastructure and the Harbour Quays buildings as structurally sound, but a lot of superficial damage would need to be fixed, particularly in the BNZ building.  Repairs are expected to take 6-8 weeks.

“I’ve inspected the buildings myself and whilst there is damage to ceiling panels and light fittings, and water damage, engineers advise it’s not structural damage.”

CentrePort was working with the BNZ, Statistics New Zealand and other tenants on plans to repair the damaged fittings and fixtures in their respective buildings, and on re-establishing critical business functions.

The southern access road at the container terminal - which is not critical to port operations - remains closed after part of the road slipped into the harbour.

A container with port equipment also fell into the sea and CentrePort will recover it as soon as possible.

Mr Larsen said it was too early to put a figure on the repair bill. The company is yet to discuss the details with its engineers, tenants and insurers.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news