Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Credit Suisse fund sees insurance losses ‘well below’ US$1B

Credit Suisse fund sees insurance losses ‘well below’ US$1 bln from Wellington quake

July 24 (BusinessDesk) - The 6.5-magnitude earthquake in Cook Strait last Sunday isn’t expected to lead to big insurance losses, which global financial services firm Credit Suisse expecting it to come in below US$1 billion.

Credit Suisse has told investors in its insurance-linked strategies fund, CS IRIS Low Volatility Plus Fund, that the quake was further away from dense populations and lacked the ground acceleration of the 2011 Canterbury quake, according to fund investor DCG IRIS, a unit of financial services firm Dexion Capital.

“Given these factors we expect significantly smaller insured losses from this event compared to the New Zealand earthquakes from 2010 and 2011,” DCG IRIS said in a note. “Current estimates of insured losses are well below $1 billion and based on these estimates we do not expect any impact on the IRIS Low Volatility Plus Fund.”

Just 35 buildings in New Zealand’s capital city have sustained damage from the Sunday quake, most of which is seen as largely minor, according to Mayor Celia Wade-Brown.

Some local insurers have stopped writing new business in the Wellington and Marlborough regions in response to the quakes, though they don’t anticipate the event will lead to global reinsurers hiking premiums because of the limited damage.

The Dexion unit had net assets of 60.18 million pounds as at May 31, and 4 percent of its investments were exposed to Australasian earthquakes.

July 1 was the renewal of several programmes in Australia and New Zealand, which Dexion said in its May update were under review and that the investment team was looking for opportunities in the region.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Court Ruling: Kiwifruit NZ Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news