Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


The NBR Rich List 2013: The Rich Continue to Get Richer

The NBR Rich List 2013: The Rich Continue to Get Richer

This year’s NBR Rich List is bigger and richer than ever before with the total minimum net worth of members now at $47.8 billion, an increase of $3.5 billion on last year’s list. Add the small group of New Zealand-based international billionaires on the Rich List and the figure climbs to $60.4 billion, an all time record.

“The past year has been a good one financially and this has benefited the majority as well as a select few” says Nevil Gibson, Editor In Chief of The NBR.

The surge in wealth is mainly due to the substantial gains of most investment classes; the New Zealand equity market returned 25.9% last year and has added another 10% in the first half of this year. At the same time the property market, both residential and commercial, has been white hot. But new wealth has also been created through entrepreneurism, hard work and determination. Those willing to back themselves and deploy capital into growth-orientated businesses are being richly rewarded.

There are 12 newcomers on the Rich List this year.

The richest new entries are Victoria Ransom ($300 million), Mark Dunphy ($240 million), Hamish Edwards ($105 million), the Watson family ($100 million) and Gary Rooney ($90 million), the Chow brothers close out the list at $50 million with ventures in both property and the sex industry.

Unsurprisingly, four of the newcomers on this year’s list made their fortune in the technology sector by developing software for an increasingly tech-savvy population (Hamish Edwards, Victoria Ransom, Malcolm McDonald and Derek Jones).

Other profitable sectors include dairy farming, oil and gas exploration, insurance and food retailing, while construction is making a comeback (particularly in Christchurch).

The local share market contributed to some big jumps in the wealth of existing NBR Rich Listers – this year’s biggest success story was Xero, the online accounting software company co-founded by Hamish Edwards and Rod Drury. My Drury, who still owns more than 18% of the company, saw his personal wealth skyrocket from $120 million to $400 million.

There are four former NBR Rich Listers returning – Craig Heatley, Earl and Lani Hagaman, Alan Pye and Humphry Rolleston.

Graeme Hart again tops the list, testimony to his fearless global deal making in the packaging industry.

2013 Rich List Top 10

Graeme Hart               $6.4 billion
Richard Chandler        $3.7 billion
Todd family                $2.9 billion
Erceg family                $1.6 billion
Christopher Chandler $1.3 billion
Goodman family         $1 billion
Michael Friedlander    $950 million
Sir Owen Glenn                      $900 million
Stephen Jennings        $900 million
Sir Douglas Myers      $880 million

The NBR Rich List is on sale Friday 26 July @ $9.90 (available at all good retailers)

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news