Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Methven agrees to buy Chinese manufacturer to improve profit

Methven agrees to buy Chinese manufacturer to improve margins, profits

By Tina Morrison

July 29 (BusinessDesk) – Methven, the tapware maker, will buy its Chinese manufacturer for as much as US$10 million, which it says will improve margins and profits.

Auckland-based Methven agreed to buy Heshan, Guangdong province-based Invention Sanitary for four times the manufacturer’s profit in the 12 months ending June 30, 2014, up to a maximum of US$8 million before potential earn-outs, the company said in a statement.

Methven is exercising its right to buy the business after founder Hui Zhuang decided to retire. The businesses are closely aligned after Zhuang set up Invention Sanitary 12 years ago exclusively to supply Methven-designed tapware and valve products.

“Our partnership with Invention Sanitary has been a key contributor to the expansion and success of Methven’s proprietary tapware ranges,” Methven chief executive Rick Fala said. “The acquisition of Invention Sanitary is value accretive and will provide additional profits to fund further investment in research and development and international market growth initiatives as well as underpinning future dividends.”

Shares in Methven rose 2.4 percent to $1.30, having dropped 7.3 percent this year.

The payment to Zhuang consists of US$4 million in cash, funded by existing bank facilities, and as much as US$4 million in new shares, which must be retained for two years, Methven said. Additional payments of as much as US$1 million will be made should earnings exceed targets in 2015 and 2016, the company said.

A Methven appointed general manager will be assimilated into the Chinese unit, with Zhuang retaining overall responsibility for the performance of the business, reporting to the Methven chief executive, for two years until June 2015 when he will retire, the company said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news