Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Fonterra says no official notice received on Chinese ban

Fonterra says no notice received on Chinese ban amid botulism scare

Aug 5 (BusinessDesk) - Fonterra Cooperative Group, the world’s biggest dairy exporter, said it hasn’t received official notification that Chinese authorities have banned its products after discovering some of contamination with bacteria that can cause botulism.

China’s official publication, the People’s Daily, reported China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) as saying importers Hangzhou Wahaha Health Food, Hangzhou Wahaha Import & Export, Shanghai Tangjiu (Group) and Shanghai-based Dumex Baby Food have recalled products potentially containing the contaminated whey protein concentrate WPC80, and issued a consumer warning for three batches of Nutricia’s Karicare-brand dairy products.

“There has been speculation about actions on the part of Chinese authorities,” Fonterra said in a statement. “As far as Fonterra is aware, the New Zealand government is working with Chinese authorities to determine the scope of the reaction and no official notification has been received.”

Trade Minister Tim Groser yesterday described the situation as “very serious” and said any ban on imports by Chinese authorities was “entirely appropriate.” Russia suspended imports of Fonterra products, its ITAR-TASS news agency has reported.

Units in the Fonterra Shareholders’ Fund, which gives outside investors exposure to Fonterra’s dividend stream, fell 0.8 percent to $7.12 on Friday, extending a decline since Wednesday after the dairy exporter raised its forecast payout to farmers on dwindling global milk supply, while saying higher margins could put its dividend at risk.

On NZX’s dairy futures market, 75 lots of October 2013 whole milk powder futures sold at US$4,300 per tonne, 6.3 percent below its last settlement price.

“This isn’t a great time for Fonterra - they have had two earnings downgrades, prior to that had the DCD issue, and now they have got this whey contamination issue, all of those things have come together, it must be a really tough time for them,” said Andrew Bascand, managing director at Harbour Asset Management.

“You would expect this to increase this uncertainty in the near term,” Bascand said. “Investors are still weighing up the impact of the downgrades that occurred in the last two or three weeks, this is just another issue.”

“If you want exposure in the sector at the moment, it is probably easier to turn to the other two listed companies, A2 Milk Corp and Synlait Milk,” he said. None of Harbour Asset’s funds hold the Fonterra units in their $1 billion-plus of equities. They do hold A2 and Synlait.

A2 shares were last at 67 cents and have gained 26 percent this year. Synlait was last at $2.71 compared to last month’s IPO price of $2.20.

Fonterra said on Saturday it had found bacteria which can cause botulism in some of its dairy products, affecting eight of its wholesale customers. Dairy makes up about a quarter of New Zealand’s export earnings.

The dairy company said only products using the WPC80 protein as an ingredient are affected, and that doesn’t include any products sold on its GlobalDairyTrade platform or any Fonterra-branded consumer products. The latest GDT dairy auction is set to be held overnight on Tuesday night.

Yesterday, it said products made by Coca-Cola, Vitaco and Chinese drinks maker Wahaha are safe to consume because of the way they are manufactured. Its animal feed subsidiary NZAgBiz recalled a small amount of calf milk replacer sold in the North Island.

The whey protein concentrate, WPC80, is a dried product used as an ingredient in infant formula and sports drinks. Some of 38 tonnes of the product was shipped to customers in six countries in May 2012, having passed health safety tests.

In March this year, Fonterra retested material from the same batch prior to use in third party manufacturing under licence and, four months later, publicly disclosed the presence of clostridium botulinum, a "very rare" example of a common dairy bacterium.

The food safety scare is the third to have caught Fonterra since a scandal in 2008, when the adulteration of raw milk by Chinese dairy farmers with a chemical, melamine, caused deaths and serious illness for thousands of Chinese children. Fonterra owned 43 percent of SanLu, which closed down because of the disaster.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news