Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Fonterra satisfied it met disclosure rules over food scare

Fonterra satisfied it met general disclosure rules over food scare

Aug. 6 (BusinessDesk) - Fonterra Cooperative Group, New Zealand’s biggest company, is confident it met the general disclosure rules required of a public issuer over the food contamination scare.

The Auckland-based dairy company identified the bacteria on July 31, before making a public announcement on Aug. 3, outside trading hours on the New Zealand stock exchange. The delay has raised the ire of the government, and prompted the Financial Markets Authority to look at whether Fonterra met general disclosure rules.

“We believe we have satisfied the regulatory requirements,” having taken legal advice, group director communications Kerry Underhill told a media conference in Auckland.

The world’s biggest dairy exporter is still trying to identify and contain some tainted whey protein product, which has seen some of New Zealand’s trading partners impose bans on certain products, and Fonterra is reluctant to comment on a future review of its processes.

Prime Minister John Key yesterday said once the immediate problems are addressed, the government will investigate Fonterra’s role in the food scare “around the length of time it took for all of us to know, it will be about the processes it went through from when it first identified there could be an issue to one that was one that was brought into the public domain, and to the general approach to these issues.”

Fonterra’s general manager for NZ Milk Products, Gary Romano, told the briefing the Ministry for Primary Industries will oversee the company’s review of its processes when that comes, but for now it’s still focusing on addressing the operational problem of tainted product.

“It’s premature right now to ask about which tests were done, when and why,” Romano said.

Similarly, when asked whether any of Fonterra’s customers had raised the issue of compensation, Romano said they hadn’t, and that it will also be some time before they have those discussions.


(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news