Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Buyers Attention Turns to the South Island Sale


Buyers Attention Turns to the South Island Sale

New Zealand Bloodstock’s South Island Sale of Two-Year-Olds & Mixed Bloodstock is nearly upon us, with 82 catalogued lots assembled for sale at Canterbury Agricultural Park in Christchurch, commencing at 12pm on Friday 9 August.
South Island Sale cover 6

This year’s two-year-old selection features a number of top performing sires from both sides of the Tasman.

Amongst the highlights is Lot 56, a colt by Champion Australian sire Lonhro out of Group 1 winner Vitesse Dane and Lot 29, a Pins colt from the NZB Southern Filly of the Year winner Ombre Rose. Other Group 1 sires represented include Don Eduardo, Elusive City, Savabeel, Captain Rio, Pentire, Brilliance, Mr Nancho, Shinko King, Bahhare and Keeper.

Young stallions are well represented by leading second season sire Iffraaj and NZ champion first season sire Any Suggestion, along with Group 1 winning racehorses Tavistock, Fully Fledged, Thewayyourare, Mastercraftsman, Sahkee’s Secret, Perfectly Ready, Road to Rock, St Reims and Nom du Jeu.

Edwina Morris & Alan Jones’ Berkley Stud consistently presents a strong draft, having being the leading vendor for the past eight years. This year they have another select offering of 10 horses including Lot 58, a grandson of Group 1 winner Plume by resident Berkley stallion Edenworld.

Offering a unique South Island flavour to the catalogue are the South Island based sires that include Remind, Minstrel Court, Coats Choice, My Halo, Saperavi, Justice Prevails, Gallant Guru, Raise the Flag and Indy King.

The South Island Sale has produced top performing horse over the years, including the likes of Group 1 winners Master O’Reilly and Hustler. In recent years, horses like the Group 2 Wellington Cup winner Blood Brotha (Danzighill), Natuzzi (Coats Choice), Capone (Al Akbar) Marencumbae - Martin (Sing.) (Colombia) have also come through the Sale to win black-type races.

Two-year-old fillies catalogued in the Sale can still be nominated for the New Zealand Bloodstock Insurance Pearl Series. Entries will be taken by New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders Association until 31 August and nomination forms can be downloaded by clicking here.

This will be the last year that the South Island Sale of Two-Year-Olds will be held in August. In an innovative move the Sale will take a leap to April and become part of New Zealand Bloodstock’s National Yearling Sales Series. Becoming part of the Karaka Yearling Sales allows yearlings that go through the South Island Sale the opportunity to be part of the lucrative $1 million Karaka Million, New Zealand’s richest race, and the Karaka 3YO Mile the following season.

Catalogues for New Zealand Bloodstock’s South Island Sale of Two-Year-Olds can be viewed online at www.nzb.co.nz. For a copy of the catalogue or for more information please contact NZB on 09 298 0055.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news