Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Fonterra fined $900k for role in fixing prices in China

Fonterra fined $900k for role in fixing prices in China, says rivals face bigger penalties

By Paul McBeth

Aug 7 (BusinessDesk) - Fonterra Cooperative Group, embroiled in a food contamination scandal, has been fined $900,000 for its role in fixing prices for infant formula in China, but says its rivals face bigger penalties.

The Auckland-based cooperative was issued an administrative fine of 4.47 million Chinese yuan after the China National Development and Reform Commission finished its probe into foreign firms’ pricing on consumer dairy products, Fonterra said in a statement. The world’s biggest dairy exporter will provide extra training to sales staff and review its distributer contracts as a result of the investigation.

“We access the NDRC’s findings and we believe the investigation leaves us with a much clearer understanding of expectations around implementing pricing policies which is useful as we progress our future business plans,” Fonterra Greater China and India president Kelvin Wickham said. “We understand that a number of companies in the dairy industry were fined, with Fonterra’s fine being in the lowest range.”

Fonterra has been under international scrutiny this week, particularly in China, after it said it had found a bacteria which can cause botulism in three batches of whey protein concentrate, which had affected eight of its customers.

China is the only country to have imposed some restrictions on Fonterra imports, with Russia, Singapore and Vietnam recalling the affected products and Malaysia, Thailand, Viet Nam, Singapore, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong reviewing the situation.

Last month, Fonterra joined Abbott Laboratories, Nestle, Danone, Royal FrieslandCampina and Mead Johnson Nutrition in cutting prices since the NDRC launched its investigation.

China’s official publication, the People’s Daily, reported in July the NDRC had evidence infant formula prices have climbed 30 percent since 2008. That was the year Fonterra was embroiled in the melamine scandal that left several infants dead after its farmers at its Chinese partner, San-lu, added melamine to the milk to lift its protein.

Since then, Fonterra has been boosting its exposure to Asian markets and China in particular as it looks to cash in on an increasingly wealthy population with growing demand for protein.

The company has been building farm hubs in China with a view to producing one billion litres of milk by 2020.

New Zealand is the biggest supplier of infant formula to China, selling 371,000 tons to the world’s second-biggest economy, in the first half of the year, according to a People’s Daily report.

Units in the Fonterra Shareholder’s Fund rose 1.2 percent to $7.03 today after the 2.4 percent fall in trade-weighted prices on the GlobalDairyTrade platform helped allay fears the food contamination scare is widespread.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news