Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Tiwai Point smelter safe to Jan 2017 under new power deal

Tiwai Point smelter safe to Jan 2017 under new deal with Meridian

By Pattrick Smellie

Aug 8 (BusinessDesk) - Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million "incentive payment" to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017.

Meridian chief executive Mark Binns announced the deal in a statement to the NZX, saying the renegotiated contract would "see a reduction in the current electricity charge from July 1, 2013 and allows for price increases should the New Zealand dollar value of aluminium rise above agreed levels."

Finance and State-Owned Enterprises Ministers Bill English and Tony Ryall described the new deal as "returning the price of power paid by NZAS to around pre-2013 levels, in exchange for guarantees on the contract from or on behalf of New Zealand Aluminium Smelter’s parent companies."

The contract renewal looks likely to see a writedown in the value of Meridian ahead of government plans to sell up to 49 percent of the shares in its largest electricity company by Sept 30, which was independently valued at $6.5 billion in 2011.

The new contract will run to 2030, as did the contract it replaces, but appears to include a faster exit clause for the smelter, which is owned majority-owned by Pacific Aluminium, a subsidiary of the global metals giant Rio Tinto.

The new deal allows NZAS to terminate the contract after January 2017, with 15 months' notice, and will give the smelter greater flexibility about how much or little of its contracted load it has to take. It will now be able to reduce its contracted volume from from 572 Megawatts to 400 MW from 2015.

PacAl is attempting to quit holdings in seven aluminium assets in Australasia, although has yet to find a buyer.

The smelter began paying new, higher prices on Jan. 1, based on a contract that was negotiated and signed in 2007, before the global financial crisis, a collapse in the global price of aluminium, and before the construction of major new capacity, especially in China.

"Meridian is delighted that the parties could find a mutually acceptable position and trusts the new pricing framework and associated arrangements assist NZAS in establishing a competitive cost position for the future," said Binns.

English and Ryall said the $30 million sweetener from the taxpayer was a "one off incentive payment to help secure agreement on the revised contract because of the importance of the smelter to the stability of the electricity market.

"It provides medium term certainty for Southland and New Zealand."

A similar offer, made out of the blue when it appeared the talks might fail earlier this year, was turned by PacAl.

The smelter accounts for around 10 percent of the economic activity in Southland and produces over $600 million in export receipts annually, but has struggled for profitability despite making a high grade metal that attracts price premiums and pursuing productivity improvements and cost reductions.

A further cut in smelter maintenance staff is being negotiated at present.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news