Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


King Salmon's Marlborough Sounds consents upheld at appeal

King Salmon's Marlborough Sounds consents upheld at appeal

Aug. 9 (BusinessDesk) - Campaigners against a substantial increase in aquaculture in the Marlborough Sounds have lost their appeals against Environment Court rulings that had already upheld resource consents granted by a board of inquiry.

Justice Robert Dobson dismissed appeals mounted by the Environmental Defence Society and the Sustain Our Sounds lobby group, saying that while the board of inquiry had made findings at odds with the Marlborough District Council's plan for the area, that did not mean its conclusions were wrong.

"It was quite likely within Parliament’s contemplation that a board of inquiry would attribute different values in the balance between preservation of environmental attributes and enabling economic activities, than would be applied by a local authority that had provided for these different interests in its relevant plan. That was certainly the case here," his judgment says.

King Salmon applied for the consents in the wake of government policy changes intended to accelerate aquaculture investment, which had been stalled for several years.

The Environmental Defence Society expressed disappointment at the decision, which had appealed consents at two of the four sites King Salmon had sought - Waitata and Port Gore - on the grounds they failed to protect outstanding natural landscapes.

“We note that the judge did concede that the issues we raised were important and said of both sets of appeals: 'they have, both competently and responsibly, advanced legitimate public interests," said Gary Taylor, chairman at the EDS.

The decision could yet be appealed to the Supreme Court, he said.

"Doing that is a big step and raises important issues for us relating to affordability that we’ll need to consider. “But we are not into futile gestures and will not be taking the matter further unless there is a good chance of success.

“My own personal view, after reading the decision, is that the judge has got at least part of his decision wrong" for failing to recognise the outstanding natural landscape features of the New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news