Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Ex-CBA boss Ralph Norris to lead Fonterra board inquiry

Ralph Norris to lead Fonterra board inquiry, helped by Judith Potter, Jack Hodder

Aug. 12 (BusinessDesk) – Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC.

Norris, an independent director of Fonterra, will lead a committee of six that will look into the contamination of three batches of whey protein concentrate (WPC80) and the way it was handled, Fonterra chairman John Wilson said in a statement.

Hodder will review events leading up to and following the discovery of the contamination and the committee is looking for “an internationally recognised industry expert on the manufacturing and safety of foods” to work with him, the company said. The inquiry will start immediately and is expected to take six weeks.

Alongside Norris and Potter, the committee is made up of independent directors Simon Israel and John Waller, and farmer-elected directors Blue Read and Nicola Shadbolt. The board inquiry is in addition to a management-level review by Fonterra and a government inquiry which is to be discussed at the Cabinet today.

Fonterra is still battling the fallout from the contamination scare, which it first announced just over a week ago, including the somewhat unusual position of China in officially criticising New Zealand’s biggest exporter. The Economic and Commercial Councillor for the Chinese Embassy, Zhang Fan, told TV3’s The Nation that “mistakes should not be repeated again and again.”

“Three times and you are out,” he told the TV show.

And the reputation of Fonterra’s products took another international hit with Sri Lanka ordering it to recall two batches of milk powder it says may be contaminated with dicyandiamide (DCD), a nitrogen inhibitor that had been used on New Zealand pasture until it was found in milk products.

Fonterra has denied the products contained DCD though that hasn’t stopped Sri Lankan media posting critical articles about the company and is products.

The contamination was confined to 38 metric tonnes of whey protein concentrate (WPC80) manufactured at Fonterra’s Hautapu plant near Cambridge and first picked up at a plant in Australia. It was used in the manufacture of infant formula, juice and dairy beverages, yoghurt, body building powder, and animal stock food.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news