Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Smelter's $30M sweetener came down to scale, says PM

Smelter's $30M sweetener came down to scale, says PM

By Pattrick Smellie

Aug 12 (BusinessDesk) - The only reason the government offered $30 million to Rio Tinto to keep the Bluff aluminium smelter open was because it is such a large part of the economy, Prime Minister John Key says.

Asked at his weekly press conference why the government hadn't supported other industries threatening to close, such as KiwiRail's Hillside workshops, Key said: "It simply comes down to scale."

"We believe Rio Tinto want to remain a long term participant at Tiwai Point," he said. "They were the ones who wanted to remain engaged with Meridian", the state-owned electricity company that supplies power to the smelter, equivalent to around one-seventh of all the power produced in New Zealand.

"This is different from Hillside," he said. The government had tried without success to find a buyer for the railway workshops.

Asked whether the deal was motivated by the desire to partially privatise Meridian next month, Key said: "Not really."

"The fact is we were forced to the point where they needed to make a decision."

Rio had been trying to sell its 79.4 percent share of the smelter prior to the new contract being announced, but withdrew it a day after the newcontract was announced, along with several Australian aluminium assets that had also proven unsaleable in current market conditions.

Key said Rio's new contract was "slightly worse" than the contract that expired at the end of last year and was briefly replaced by a contract that raised power prices, but was renegotiated at Rio's insistence. The new contract was concluded in 2007 before the global financial crisis and a collapse in the global price of aluminium.

The new contract with Meridian includes price uplifts if metal prices improve and appears to incentivise the smelter to release some capacity to Meridian after 2015.

Meridian announced a 53 percent increase in underlying profit to $162.7 million today, although revenues rose only 5.5 percent over the year. Meridian wrote down $476 million of the value of its assets because of the new, less generous smelter contract.

Key confirmed a Meridian listing on the New Zealand and Australian stock exchanges is planned for October.

(BusinessDesk)


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news