Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZ Energy Corp gets extension to complete Origin deal

NZ Energy Corp gets extension to complete Origin deal

Aug 13 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand Energy Corp has gained a six week extension in its vexed efforts to complete the purchase of gas production assets it is buying from Origin Energy, in exchange for adding an extra C$1 million to the C$5 million non-refundable deposit it has already made.

The Vancouver-based company announced to the Toronto Stock Exchange that Origin had agreed to extend the deadline for meeting finance conditions from tomorrow to Sept. 30, and the government approval deadline from Sept. 13 to Oct. 14.

The extension comes amid reports that company executives have been scrambling to find backers for a further C$12 million required to complete the deal and boost working capital after a partial solution to its funding problems emerged on Aug. 1.

That announcement saw serial oil and minerals investor Geoff Loudon's L&M Energy commit NZ$18.25 million to create a 50/50 joint venture between NZEC and L&M to run the so-called TWN assets and the Waihapa production station.

TWN refers to the Tariki, Waihapa and Ngaere gas fields, onshore Taranaki, which NZEC first committed to buy from Origin in June last year for C$42.5 million.

A restructured deal, announced in June this year, saw the price drop $C9 million, removed the Ahuroa licence area from the original purchase, and saw NZEC become operator of Contact Energy's Ahuroa gas storage facility.

NZEC's troubles stem from depleting working capital while pursuing a string of missed production targets, leaving it around C$17 million short when trying to complete its deal with Origin Energy to buy the TWN assets.

NZEC listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange in August 2011, raising just over C$21.9 million in its initial public offering. The company raised almost C$63.5 million in March 2012, though its market capitalisation has tumbled over the past 12 months, with its shares falling from a peak of C$3.19 to as low as 32 Canadian cents, wiping about C$350 million off the value of the company.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news