Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Auckland Council rejects poert expansion

MEDIA RELEASE Port Expansion- 1

August 30, 2013

From: ALEX SWNEY

CEO, Heart of Auckland City

MEDIA RELEASE

Auckland Council has rejected plans by Ports of Auckland to expand its operations further into the Waitemata harbour.

Speaking at the end of a three-day council meeting to discuss the Unitary Plan for Auckland, an effective blueprint for future development of the city, Mayor Len Brown acknowledged the port’s expansion plans were “the most contentious issue of his first term”.

The council strengthened the planning status of the area around the port and declared that any expansion would be a “non-compliant activity.”

Mayor Brown also called for a definitive study on the port’s operations and their implications for Auckland beyond the immediate waterfront location.

Ports of Auckland, owned entirely by Auckland Council, had asked for a 6.6ha expansion to its current operational footprint which included a 179m extension of Bledisloe wharf. It had been seeking to have expansion plans included in the Unitary Plan for Auckland.

Heart of the City chief executive Alex Swney says the decision is a “red letter day” for Aucklanders.

“The council and mayor Len Brown have heard Aucklanders’ desire for something better on our waterfront and have responded emphatically today. It is quite possibly one of the defining decisions of Len Brown’s mayoralty so far.

“This decision is not just about preventing expansion of an industrial operation further out into the harbour but also recognition that we need to have a closer look at how we handle the projected growth in containers moving through our city,” Swney says.

Heart of the City is one of many groups that have been actively campaigning on the issue alongside Auckland iwi Ngati Whatua, the NZ institute of Architects, Committee for Auckland, the Urban Issues Group, Westhaven Users Assoc and the Auckland Architecture Assoc.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news