Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Number Without Power Continues to Decline

Number Without Power Continues to Decline

The number of Orion customers without power, following last week's destructive wind storm, has fallen to approximately 700. The storm originally took out power to 28,000 Orion customers.

All customers within the Christchurch area have power back on. Those remaining customers without power are dispersed around the rural region.

"Our total focus remains to reconnect as many of our customers as quickly and safely as possible. More contractors from throughout the South Island are arriving today to add even more resource to our efforts which already includes many contractors brought in from around New Zealand. We are throwing everything we have at this," said Orion Chief Operating Officer John O'Donnell.

"All of the repairs now being completed are only bringing on a few customers at a time. So it is slow progress but we are steadily getting there. I appreciate that for those customers without power it is a difficult and frustrating time and I would like to thank these people for their continued patience. Their understanding of how bad this event is makes our work easier and allows us to concentrate on getting on with the job," continues Mr O'Donnell. We ask any residents using generators to get them installed by registered electricians to ensure the safety of the linesmen repairing the network.

If you see a fallen power line, or a tree on a power line, please stay well clear and call us on 0800 363 9898.

Our next update will be at 4.00pm.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news