Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


ASX & NZX Find No Evidence Chorus Could Become Insolvent


ASX & NZX Find No Evidence Chorus Could Become Insolvent

The Australian and New Zealand stock exchanges (ASX and NZX) have reported to the Coalition for Fair Internet Pricing indicating that they have found no evidence to support New Zealand prime minister John Key’s assertion that Chorus Ltd could become insolvent if his government’s proposed copper tax is not introduced.

“We are pleased with the ASX and NZX conclusions because they confirm that there is absolutely no risk of insolvency under any of the copper pricing scenarios put forward by the Commerce Commission as the independent regulator. This means that the roll-out of the Ultra-Fast broadband can proceed as planned,” a spokeswoman for the coalition, Sue Chetwin, also chief executive of Consumer NZ, said today.

Chorus is part of the NZX15 index, has a market capitalisation of over NZ$1 billion, made a profit of NZ$171 million last year and paid NZ$95 million in dividends to its shareholders.

“Given Chorus’ financial security, we call on the government to withdraw its proposal to over-ride the Commerce Commission and impose a copper tax on Kiwi households and businesses – a tax which will benefit no one except support the profits of the copper lines monopoly,” Ms Chetwin said.

“There is no reason at all for Kiwi households and businesses to pay a dollar more for copper broadband and voice services than the Commerce Commission says is fair.

“There is no threat to Chorus’s solvency and no threat to the roll-out of Ultra-Fast Broadband. Chorus should simply be told to get on with the job.”

Mr Key made his insolvency claims on national television on Friday 13 September, saying: “If the Commerce Commision ruling stands there's a chance Chorus will go broke, in which case the Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB) won't be rolled out.” He later advised media and the New Zealand Parliament that he stood by these comments.

Asked whether his view that Chorus could become insolvent was based on information not in the public domain, Mr Key told Parliament it was “based on commercial-in-confidence discussions between Chorus and Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) officials” and a private telephone conservation he had with the chair of Chorus, Sue Sheldon, in December 2012.
Following the prime minister’s comments, the coalition asked the ASX and the NZX to investigate why Chorus had made no disclosure to the market about any insolvency risk as it would be required to do under both exchange’s listing rules.

On Friday 4 October, the ASX advised the coalition it had reviewed the matter but “has not formed the view … that there is, or is likely to be, a false market in [Chorus]’s securities”. It advised: “If you do not see a market announcement about the issues you have raised, you should assume either that our investigation has concluded that there was no breach of the Listing Rules or, if there was, it has been dealt with to our satisfaction on a confidential basis.”

Yesterday, Wednesday 9 October, the NZX also advised that it “has no reason to challenge [Chorus]’s view that it remains in compliance with its continuous disclosure obligations under the NZSX Listing Rules”.
ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

More/Less Coal: Consents Granted For Coal Mine At Mangatangi

A joint Waikato District Council and Waikato Regional Council hearings committee has approved the issuing of consents to a Fonterra subsidiary for an open cast coal mine at Mangatangi, 2.5 kilometres east of Mangatawhiri, in north Waikato. More>>

ALSO:

Disasterous Year: ICNZ Warns Country Must Adapt To Extreme Weather Events

The cost of insured damage from extreme weather events for 2013 is likely to be over $100 million, making it the most costly year from storms in New Zealand since 2004, according to the Insurance Council of New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Christchurch Airport Targeting Excessive Profits - Regulator

Christchurch International Airport’s proposed prices over the next two decades are significantly higher than the Commerce Commissions’ view of what’s acceptable, and tougher disclosure requirements have had little impact on promoting price efficiency, the regulator says. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Xero Raises $180M Selling Shares At Premium To Matrix, Thiel

Xero, the cloud-based accounting company whose shares have more than doubled this year, raised $180 million selling shares to Matrix Capital Management, Peter Thiel-backed Valar Ventures and other investors to ensure it can keep bankrolling its expansion. More>>

ALSO:

Thermal Field Management: Geyser’s Revival Of International Significance

Revival of Papakura Geyser in Rotorua’s Whakarewarewa geothermal valley may be a world first, Bay of Plenty Regional Council Chief Executive Mary-Anne Macleod says. More>>

ALSO:

200 Jobs At Stake: Independent Fisheries To Consider Future Of Christchurch Plant

Intense competition from heavily discounted foreign-sourced product in its key markets has forced Christchurch-based fishing company Independent Fisheries Ltd to consider the future of its Woolston processing facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: SFO Confirms Probe Into Auckland Transport Procurement

The white-collar crime investigator executed a number of search warrants at several locations yesterday as it probes an unidentified number of individuals relating to “irregularities in the procurement of services,” it said in a statement. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news